PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


100 Things

1. I have two boys: "Bug" (9/2001) and "Bean" (8/2003)
2. I have one husband, "Firedude"
3. He is a volunteer firefighter.
4. This is his "unpaid" job. He also has a "paid" job, in technical pre-sales.
5. But his "unpaid job" is his true passion.
6. Unfortunately, it doesn't pay as much to be a career firefighter. So he keeps the other job.
7. He is a thoughtful husband and a wonderful Daddy.
8. He is a hero, especially in the eyes of our sons.
9. We met in a bar when we were 22.
10. Although we figured out later we attended the same parties and had a few common friends in high school.
11. We got married in 1992, when we were 24.
12. We were married almost 9 years when our first child was born.
13. Firedude and I struggle to maintain balance in our crazy lives.
14. This is a post-kids phenomenon.
15. Marriage is very hard work. Especially in the first few years after your children are born.
16. Even when he makes me raging mad, I love him.
17. I love my children more than I ever would have imagined a parent can love.
18. I want to be the best Mom possible for them.
19. The most important thing in the world to me is being a good Mom.
20. And that is a much harder job than I ever imagined it would be.
21. I graduated from high school in 1986.
22. I graduated from college in 1996.
23. I was hired out of college by the company I most wanted to work for.
24. I still work for this company.
25. I do financial systems project management.
26. I got my MBA in 1998.
27. I used to travel internationally quite a bit for my job. I loved it.
28. Travelling outside the US, especially to Europe and Asia, was life changing for me.
29. I don't want to travel for work anymore.
30. Since my first child was born, I've only travelled once, and only for 2 nights.
31. I feel blessed to be able to work and be a Mom, somehow balance it, and feel good about it most of the time.
32. I can balance it because my employer is so flexible and my husband is so involved. I will feel even more blessed when I can work part time, which is something I am working on.
33. I admire SAHM's, because I think that is harder than being a working Mom (or at least one with a flexible employer). Part time will be the right balance for me.
34. I picked up some neurotic habits after having kids.
35. Mostly having to do with worry over something bad happening to either of my kids.
36. Or to ANY kids, for that matter.
37. When I hear about some unimaginable tragedy involving a child, I grieve for weeks.
38. It is like I feel that child is owed this reaction, this deep pain, for what they went through.
39. Prayer and faith has helped some, but I do still struggle.
40. I sometimes wonder how I wasn't affected like this pre-kids. It was every bit as awful then, as it is now.
41. I get upset when I see a fictional terrible or sad thing happen to a child on TV, because in all likelihood it has probably happened to some child in real life.
42. I used to be heavily involved in dog rescue.
43. I don't have the time for it now, but I still love animals.
44. I learned so much during those years of rescue work. And got to know many special people.
45. I am a Christian.
46. Who is also liberal.
47. I have always followed liberal lines of thinking.
48. Some tell me I was brainwashed in college. But I don't think I'd feel any different if I had never gone to college.
49. It is just what feels right to me.
50. I fiercely oppose the Iraq war. I firmly believe this war was started under false pretenses.
51. I acknowledge that "freedom isn't free". And I completely support our troups, because they are following orders.
52. But I don't believe Iraq is (or was) about freedom. Not in the way Afghanistan was.
53. And I am deeply saddened about the loss of innocent lives in this war.
54. I am very worried about how divided our nation has become.
55. To a large degree because of "spin" and not "truth".
56. I think conservatives and liberals have more in common than they think.
57. I believe in "Everything in moderation".
58. Therefore, even though I am liberal, I'd like to see more moderates elected.
59. I think the real debate between conservatives and liberals is economic policy. Not values.
60. Both liberals and conservatives have values.
61. And both Democrats and Republicans have shown lack of values.
62. I believe the Bible is often twisted or misinterpreted, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not intentionally.
63. I have a good relationship with God, but I struggle with religion.
64. Although I am a member of a church.
65. Back to the lighter stuff now - we have a dog, Cassie.
66. She is a 10 year old mutt.
67. She was a rescue dog. We got her when she was 2.
68. We think she is Shepherd/Beagle mix.
69. She is dumber than a post. But oh, so lovable.
70. I love sweets of any kind.
71. My drink of choice is red wine, but I love beer on a hot day.
72. I am fortunate that both my parents are alive and well. Albeit living in another state.
73. I love going to garage sales and finding bargains. Especially fancy (and gently used) toys.
74. I was addicted to Ebay.
75. But blogging has decreased that. Blogging seems to be my new addiction.
76. When my kids are in bed, of course!
77. I also enjoy scrapbooking. Not that I am especially crafty or have an original idea in my work.
78. I am actually more gifted at copying other people's creativity.
79. I just think scrapbooks are more fun to look at later, than plain old photo albums.
80. I love music. All kinds. I even enjoy much of today's music geared for chidren. Which is good since that is what I am forced to listen to more often than not. The bosses, er kids, say so.
81. Since becoming a Mom, I miss spending more time with my friends.
82. Which I think may just be the allure of blogging.
83. I really like the blogger friends I've made so far. They are so kind.
84. Although I will still prioritize face to face time with "real life" friends as much as possible.
85. I chew my fingernails when I am reading/watching TV, stressed, or in deep thought.
86. My fingernails are almost always nubs, because I do my deep thinking (and hence biting) in the car (OK, it's actually a minivan....)
87. And also while in stressful phone conferences in the privacy of my work cubicle (while on mute of course).
88. I do not think my Blog will be witty or particularly interesting, I'm not that a talented of a writer. But I am giving it a go anyway.
89. Since starting this blog, I "write" things in my head all the time.
90. Which I have found annoying.
91. I think this blog will mostly be about my kids.
92. Because I love them, and they are the most interesting people in the world, at least to me.
93. Both my kids weighed just under 9.5 lbs. when they were born.
94. My family thinks I learned far too much about child-rearing from books.
95. Personally, I think I've cut way back on that since that first year of being a Mom.
96. I hate to exercise
97. I almost always go to bed too late.
98. Blogging hasn't helped much with either of these things.
99. I used to watch too much TV after the kids went to bed. Blogging has replaced this too. Which is a good thing.
100. I've already had so much support in starting this blog, thanks so much to everyone!

7 Comments:

At 7/28/2005 02:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, I haven't even done that 100 things yet!

Welcome aboard.

~K!

 
At 7/28/2005 02:49:00 PM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Raehan sent me over. Great 100 things list! Welcome to the blogosphere!!!

 
At 7/28/2005 03:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you did your 100 list. Fun, wasn't it. We have a lot in common!

 
At 7/28/2005 08:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - the lovely Raehan sent me over. She lives in a very nice blogging neighborhood. Welcome!

 
At 7/29/2005 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Hey! (wave, wave)

 
At 10/12/2005 06:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find it interesting that you can find at least one thing in common with almost anyone by looking at their 100 things. In your case I found a lot of things. Most of the heavy ones for instance. But also that we both have rescue dogs named Cassie. We also have Cassie's sister Emma. Great job putting your list together.

 
At 5/19/2011 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Rae said...

I'm hooked! What you have written has officially sucked me into wanting to read more of your entries. Just happened to stumble upon this and I definitely enjoyed reading it! Great blog. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home