PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


Mean Mommy

Firedaddy has been out of town for the past few days on a business trip. He actually got stranded in Toronto due to the bad weather that caused another plane to crash yesterday (thankfully, everbody on board survived).

The fact the he was out of town is not especially interesting, because he travels from time to time. But this time has been, how shall I say it - STRESSFUL.

Really, when I think about it - his absence seems to go one of two ways. Either the 3 of us really enjoy each other's company, relax and just have a good time together. Just Mom and her boys. Or, it is pure hell. You know, the kind of hell where the kids use their highly honed skills of selective hearing coupled with constant screeching, pestering, and incessant teasing of each other?

The kind of situation where Super Nanny tells you to get down to their level and tell them to stop. And what the consequences will be if they don't. Calmly, of course.

But even that doesn't work because the second you get back up to finish making whatever lame dinner you're throwing together, they start doing it again. And then, you forget all about the great Super Nanny techniques, and start using the Mean Mommy voice. And then, time outs. All the while, dinner is burning, and your head is pounding and what you really want to do is PUT THEM TO BED AND BE DONE WITH IT? Yes? Do you know?

I am not sure why things get this way on certain trips, and not others. I am sure there is some common theme I am missing, like perhaps my very own level of stress at the time. Or maybe it is that Bug likes to talk and be responded to. Constantly. And if you don't respond right away, high pitched screaming is likely to ensue.

While at the same time, Bean is turning 2 (tomorrow!) and doing all the stuff 2 years olds are known for... but to the extreme. Including a red hot temper, and the inability to stop screaming well past any given trauma has passed (said traumas usually involve being told no).

Last night, they were both noticeably tired. So, I did decide an early bedtime would benefit them. And me. After a fast bath, and skipping of the regular book reading altogether (due to the rapid melting down of both of them), and after Bean was bid goodnight in his crib (NOTE: I'm leaving out a bunch of gruesome details here, involving tired kids screeching....)... Bug told me as he lay in bed during cuddle time that he was going to take me to some "house" where there was only paper (?) and leave me there. And get himself a new Mommy. Because I was a Mean Mommy.

And I suppose I was. I am ashamed to say, I lost my temper at some point, and yelled. I told him I was sorry for it. And we had a long talk about poor choices, him for not listening and me for yelling.

WHERE he gets it in his head to take me somewhere and leave me, I don't know. It's not like I've ever threatened to do that to him, and I don't think we've ever read any book where somebody is taken somewhere and left. But that was his plan. Hey - at least wherever I was going, I was going to get paper.

So back to the fact that I yelled at him. I feel awful when I yell. I don't want to be a yelling Mommy. I try to be as calm as I can be in these situations, you know, think zen thoughts. But sometimes, like last night, I just fall off the calm wagon.

So. Today is new, and I am just grateful to have the chance to do better. To make better choices. I love my children fiercely and want only to do right by them.

It helps that FD is coming home today too.

6 Comments:

At 8/03/2005 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Christopher Trottier said...

Kickass mommy is infinitely cooler than Oprah mommy. There are too many Oprah mommies out there.

 
At 8/03/2005 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Traveler said...

I applaud you for your candor, Holly. It is hard to admit that we, as parents, are not always as perfect as we vowed to be before we actually had kids. There are times that are "in the moment" for all of us when the most infinite amount of patience will not satiate a child's persistence. Know that they are pushing to find the line, to discover the limit to which they can prod their parent. This is not to say that children are malicious, it is just an evloutionary tool that will help them to survive as social beings. Clear, firm limits must be set and adhered to, but know that children will not always hear the word "no" and take that as the end of the discussion. We all feel guilt after disciplining a child (and by disciplining I do not intend to infer physical battery, I mean firm, sometimes loud words of reproach). It is one of the things that is hard about parenting, and will not change. I only have one child and was about to say I could imagine two, but we know that I can't.

Keep up the good work and keep loving your kids!

 
At 8/03/2005 09:56:00 PM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I always love that warm feeling I get when the Boy tells me he wishes some other family would adopt him, or that he could go to boarding school. Not. Hang in there, Mean Mommy. :)

 
At 8/04/2005 09:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my parents always said that the opposite of love is apathy not anger, so when we start ignoring you and just letting you do anything... that is when you know we have stopped loving you.

Somehow, that always stuck. being a parent can't be about being perfect... we would die out if that were the case.

Enjoying your blog and looking forward to reading more!

 
At 8/04/2005 08:48:00 PM, Blogger buffi said...

Mean Mommy is just Good Mommy at the end of her rope. We've all been there. You are doing a good job. The fact that he has no doubt that anybody in the world would love him & want to be his Mommy shows that you have taught him that he is loveable and valued. Not, too shabby, mom!

 
At 8/07/2005 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Note: I deleted a few kind comments from this entry, because they referenced "Bean's" real name.

I decided to use aliases for both kids, you see, after a dear friend made me re-think how public my blog ought to be.

Thanks for your understanding...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home