PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


On a hiatus

As most of you know from a post I wrote a few months ago, my mom was battling bone cancer. In the early hours of Sunday morning, she passed away.

I am deeply thankful that I was able to go visit her a week earlier, even if only for a few days. She was in a lot of pain and on painkillers which made her sleep a lot, but we were still able to have some good conversations, and just be with each other. I will hold that time in my heart forever.

She had made the decision to quit chemo a few weeks earlier, as it was devastating her physically, and not helping anymore. So she was at home and receiving hospice care. Despite this, she had not given up, and talked about all sorts of future plans. She was very positive, and seemed at peace with either dying... or with facing yet another battle to overcome the cancer, once she regained her strength...whichever God had planned for her.

When I left, I thought she seemed to be getting better, and had myself convinced she would come out swinging again, once the latest round of chemo worked its way out of her system. But my dad called Saturday evening to say that she had declined quickly, starting right after I left. When he described just how bad things were, I knew she just needed to let go. So, as sad and empty as I feel, as much as I will miss my mom...I am glad that her suffering is over, and that it was brief. Her spirit is free now.

I will be taking a few weeks off from blogging. I do plan on visiting everyone - either in blogs or in person - so, I'll be talking to you one way or another. And I'll be back in 2 or 3 weeks.

Peace.

14 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 08:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest Holly,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom, but so happy that you were able to go and see her. It hasn't been all that long ago (2003) since my Mom left, too. She was receiving help from hospice and I will forever be grateful to that organization for how loving they were to her.

Just know that my heart cries for you and your family, and I will ask God to take care of all your hearts.

your friend,
Beth

 
At 5/31/2006 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

So sorry to read about your mom's passing, Holly. I know how much she meant to you. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Take care,
Michelle

 
At 5/31/2006 01:46:00 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I'm so sorry, Holly. I wish I were there to be with you & give you a hug. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers...

 
At 5/31/2006 02:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Holly. So, so hard.

I'm glad your Mom is finished with her suffering.

Be gentle to yourself this year. I am here if you need someone to talk to.

 
At 5/31/2006 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Oh, Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 6/01/2006 07:46:00 PM, Blogger Delane said...

I'm very sorry Holly. I remember your tribute to your mother very well, especially the horse-back riding lessons.

 
At 6/01/2006 09:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a difficult time this must be for you right now. I'm glad you left your mom on a positive note.

Take care of yourself and take your time coming back. We'll be here waiting for you.

 
At 6/03/2006 11:05:00 AM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's passing, but so glad to hear you were able to visit with her. Your post about her really made an impression on me (as you know). May you find comfort in your family, and know that we will be waiting when you're ready to come back. *big hug*

 
At 6/04/2006 03:34:00 PM, Blogger hollibobolli said...

Holly, I've never met you in person.. but I feel like I know you. I read this and I just burst into tears. I've read so much about your mom over time.. I know how hard this has been for you.

I wish there was something I could do. If you can think of any little thing - please let me know.

I'm glad you got to spend some time talking with her - and just be with her, as you mentioned.

Please know you're in my thoughts and prayers..

Hugs.

Holli

 
At 6/05/2006 12:57:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Holly: I am so sorry, dear. My thoughts and prayers are with you. lol!

Michael

 
At 6/11/2006 06:51:00 AM, Blogger Just D said...

Holly - I'm in the motherless club too...hang in there and do what you need to heal, don't place big expectations on yourself right now. Hugs...

 
At 6/13/2006 12:19:00 PM, Blogger hollibobolli said...

I just wanted to check back and let you know you've been in my thoughts and prayers..

Your friend,

Holli

 
At 6/13/2006 06:56:00 PM, Blogger butterfly cocoon said...

I'm so sorry about your mom.
I'm no stranger to loss, to cancer or otherwise, and I know how difficult that days after can be.
I'll send prayers for you and your family.

 
At 6/16/2006 02:20:00 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Oh Holly, I am so terribly sorry to hear this. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you were able to see her, and that she doesn't have to suffer, but I'm sorry for your loss. {{{hugs}}}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home