Truth hurts
I had to put both kids to bed tonight solo, because the hub had training to go to for the fire department. Confounded fire department. But that is another blog.
Anyway, so I do this all the time, and I know it should be totally manageable, but lately these two kids have been little monsters. Or maybe it is me. I don't know.
So, after baths, and everyone is jammied up, I ask Bug to stay in his room and read some books while I get Bean off to bed. I even offer to send in the dog for company, which is usually great fun for him.
But, alas, all through the 2 books and cuddles with Bean, I hear little feet running up and down the wood floor in the hallway; and a door opening and closing. Then, Bug comes in and tells me he is setting up a pillow bed for the dog in his closet (he says this like being closed in a closet is a treat for the dog...). So, I nicely ask him to say goodnight to Bean (again) and stay in his room. I am still patient, even though this is making the bedtime wind-down with Bean more challenging.
2 minutes later, as things are really winding down and I am ready to lay Bean in his crib, Bug pokes his head in again and tells me to HURRY UP. At which I respond to get his ass to his room! Kidding. I didn't use those words exactly, but I DID think them, as I told him (in an irritated voice this time) to please wait in his room and look at a book... I would be there soon.
When I got there, like a minute later, I released the dog from the closet, and then I sat down and talked to him about how I needed him to listen and when I ask him to stay in his room quietly, I really need him to do it. And that I was trying my best to hurry up, but it is not always possible to go as fast as he'd like.
Here is how he responded: "But Mom, you ALWAYS tell me to hurry up!"
Ouch.





9 Comments:
Holly, I had almost this exact conversation at naptime today (sans the dog in the closet). It is making me crazy somedays.
Ha! Yes, but you're the MOM! Tee hee!
Love the dog in the closet bit - that's excellent! Maybe he'd like to go in there himself as a treat?! KIDDING!
I hate it when they use your words against you! My son just ties the dog to his bed with her leash so "she HAS to sleep with me!".
Oh ho ho. Yeah, good luck with that. Sigh.
oh, it kind of makes you want to stop talking to them altogether and invest in a set of semiphore flags.
I had to come visit another Holly.. and strangely, things in Hollyworld aren't much different than Holliworld.. crazy bedtimes and we're actually having a weird dog closet problem. Hmmm..
Your husband had to do his job? My god, what is this world coming to?
We ARE living parallel lives aren't we.
Sounds exactly like my bedtimes. Except for the dog in the closet part. Charlie wouldn't put up with that for more than 10 seconds.
Um.... anonymous? If you are still lurking?
The fire department isn't my husband's job. He isn't actually paid to do it, it is a volunteer thing. In addition to his paid job. Call it is "hobby" if you will, except that it is VERY time consuming and more like a 2nd (unpaid) job.
Therefore, I completely reserve the right to get a little bitter about it from time to time.
Post a Comment
<< Home