PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


More... words to live by

I originally found this piece on Ben & Birdy (where else?), and I loved it so much I printed it out and put in on my refrigerator. I read it every once in awhile to remind myself to live this way.

Catherine quoted it from The Parent's Tae Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents.

It is excellent advice for parents, to be sure. But I also think you could subsitute the word "children" and insert pretty much whatever you want, and it works.

***********************************************************************************

Good Behavior

"There are many ways to get children
to behave as you wish.
You can force, plead, and bribe.
You can manipulate, trick, and persuade.
You can use shame, guilt, and reason.
These will all rebound upon you.
You will be in constant conflict.

Attend instead to your own actions.
Develop contentment within yourself.
Find peace and love in all you do.
This will keep you busy enough.
There is no need to control others.

If you are able to release even some small part
of your persistent need to control,
you will discover an amazing paradox.
The things you attempted to force
now begin to occur naturally.
People around you begin to change.
Your children find appropriate behavior
emerging from within themselves
and are delighted.
Laughter returns to all."

1 Comments:

At 8/14/2005 07:48:00 PM, Blogger buffi said...

That Catherine can always find those words to live by, can't she. She is just my hero. You're pretty awesome, yourself tho, Holly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home