PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


Why I love summer


Firetruck Posted by Picasa

Summer is my favorite season. I love summer for many reasons. Longer daylight hours. Outdoor play. Swimming in outdoor pools. Family vacations. County Fairs. 4th of July. Going to baseball games. Picnics. Barbeques. The list goes on and on. About the only thing I find disagreeable about summer is mosquitos.

And even though where we live, Indian summers through mid October are common, the true summer season is winding down. School is starting. Baseball season is winding to an end (yes, I love football, but nothing beats a warm summer afternoon at a baseball game). And after labor day, the outdoor pools will close. Sigh.

So, I am trying to enjoy every last drop of summer. Yesterday evening was a perfect example. Nights like last night are such a big part of why I love summer.

After dinner, Firedaddy and I were sitting on the back porch watching the boys ride around the back yard in their battery-operated firetruck. Next door, the two neighbor kids, their cousin, and another friend ran outside in their backyard. Our neighborhood has large lots and no fences, so our kids play often, running between yards.

So, Bug asked if he could go next door and jump on their trampoline with them. We said yes. As he made his way over, 2 year old Bean decided he wanted to go to. And believe me, there is no stopping Bean. What Bug does, Bean must do. Age appropriate means nothing to Bean.

He was about halfway over when we decided it wasn't exactly "neighborly" to send your two year old over to the neighbor's backyard, unsupervised. No matter how independant said two year old is. So, we trailed along behind.

Long story short, we ended up enjoying over an hour of conversation with the neighbors in their back yard, while the kids had a blast staying up past their bedtime, playing with each other.

It was bliss. You just don't do things like that in the wintertime.

6 Comments:

At 8/19/2005 06:57:00 PM, Blogger J&J's Mom said...

Every season has it's favorite times for me..but Fall is my favorite...Love the picture!! Sounds like you have great neighbors too!!

 
At 8/19/2005 11:12:00 PM, Blogger buffi said...

Sounds heavenly. I really love times like that, especially when they just *happen*. No preconceived notions or agendas. Just hanging out, talking and enjoying life.

Good for you!!

 
At 8/20/2005 11:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily, you still really have a month adn ahalf of summer weather. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

 
At 8/21/2005 07:47:00 PM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

So true! Everyone hibernates in winter. Ah, goodbye summer!

 
At 8/22/2005 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Marie said...

I had a passing thought about winter recently... hard to imagine that soon we'll be house-bound... except for when we venture out with snowsuits. I'm actually looking forward to that this year now that the little guy walks!

 
At 8/22/2005 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Marie said...

ps - great picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home