Christmas in Crazyville
BEAR WITH ME. THIS IS A LONG ONE.
So Christmas was almost 2 weeks ago, I realize this. But I feel a little remiss not writing anything about ours. I don’t want it to seem like it wasn’t wonderful, because it was. Absolutely wonderful, magical, perfect… and busy.
SO busy. And then, some time went by, and I didn’t think I could write about it anymore. But today I was organizing pictures from all of our holiday events, and I decided I COULD write about it, after all.
Our Christmas celebration actually started two weeks early, with Firedaddy’s Mom and Stepdad, since they were out of town over Christmas. Bug was so excited about getting presents from them early… he had been talking about it non-stop since I told him we’d be going. So, when Bug opened his first (of two) gifts from them, the first words out of his mouth were: “This isn’t a PRESENT!”. It was a John Deere hooded sweatshirt, not a toy, and he was truly disappointed. I was mortified. Later, however, after he had opened the second present (a toy John Deere tractor and trailer) from them – he was thrilled, and later said that he DID actually like his sweatshirt.
Believe me, later we did discuss the proper reactions to presents, even if it isn’t something you are truly excited about. Not sure a 4 year old will remember, but I had to try.
Next, Christmas Eve. Bug and Ben arrived early to the church kid’s choir practice. During practice, they both shined. The practice was great. However, for the actual performance (an hour later), Bean had had enough, and bailed off the stage into my arms 2 minutes into the first song. After we sat down, he started drinking from Bug’s water cup, and Bug, of course, noticed. And started crying. Right into a nearby microphone.
So I went to the stage and collected him as well. Only to RETURN him to the stage 2 minutes later, because he wanted to go back. Oy. It was a scene. Later, when they sang “The Little Drummer Boy”, the younger kid’s assignment was to sing “Pa Rum Pum Pum Pum” as LOUD as they could, every time they got to that chorus. And Bug? He was definitely on task, because he YELLED it though the entire song. Well done Bug.
At home, we allowed each child to open a gift. The one Bug chose turned out to be for both of them from Nana and Poppa “California” (my parents), so after they opened that one, we let them each open one more. Which was great, except that they chose gifts requiring “some” assembly. And of course ~ suckers that we are ~ we caved to their incessant whining to assemble them, right there on the spot.
FINALLY....Finally, cookies and milk were set out for Santa, and off to bed.
Christmas morning was the best of all. They slept until 7 am, which was nothing short of a miracle. Just minutes before 7, I heard Bug’s feet hit the floor and trot down the hallway. I heard him gasp, and then run into our room and say “Santa was here!”. So, we retrieved Bean, and went to the living room to see. I had limited what we got the kids to a certain dollar amount, and stuck to it. It resulted in three wrapped gifts each from Santa. But then, at the last minute, Firedaddy got them each a blow up snowsled – so these were added to the Santa pile.
Those sleds were SUCH a hit too. I have a lot of pictures of both boys sitting in their sleds with huge grins on their faces. They loved everything else Santa brought them too, of course, and the morning was completely magical to be a part of. Just the wonder and excitement on their little faces. I will never forget it.
We spent the afternoon at Firedaddy’s Dad and Stepmom’s house, with more family. And more gifts, of course. Spending time with family is so nice on Christmas, and knowing that not everyone is lucky enough to have extended family close by, I try not to take it for granted. The boys have a cousin who is 11 months old, plus their two older cousins who were also there, and I took several cute pictures of them playing together.
And whenever anyone asked them what Santa brought them? Do you think they mentioned any of the wonderful things I spent so much time researching, planning for, and purchasing? Nope. It was the sleds that Firedaddy went out and got at the last minute. Not that they didn’t love the other things Santa brought, but those damned sleds were what really seemed to stand out for them.
Finally, on the Monday after Christmas we went to the boy’s Godparent’s house and they got – what else – more gifts. Which they loved, of course. And it was yet another nice celebration of the holidays for us, which I loved. Oh, and plus their Auntie (my best friend) came over earlier that day with (more!) gifts for them.
With all the new things the kid’s got, I started to feel overwhelmed – it was just too much. But when I think back to my own childhood, it really was like that for us too, and I don’t think I grew up spoiled. I guess Christmas is a little overwhelming for me now, with all those gifts for the kids at the same time. I am trying to become more of a minimalist, which doesn't work out so well at Christmastime. Course Firedaddy will laugh his ass off when he reads this, because he thinks I am the big spender in the family. And I suppose I am. But I think I spend it on quality necessities, and the rare luxury now and then. But I digress...
Yes… we did go through their older toys and picked out things they don’t really play with much anymore to donate, and both boys were really great about that. And I felt a little better.
So there you have it. Our Excellent Christmas.
Oh, and New Years? It was also just perfect. We spent it at our next door neighbors – just 5 kids running around and playing, having a splendid time; and 6 adults playing Texas Hold ‘Em. I lost $20, but it was fun, relaxing, good company...and it was a quick walk home at the end of the night.
So - hey! If you are still reading, and haven't fallen asleep reading this really, really long post... I congratulate you on your perseverance.
Happy New Year (a little late) everyone! Hope it brings you all peace, good health, and happiness.





6 Comments:
That all sounds wonderful, Holly. :-) I especially like the part about all the kids playing with each other. What a sweet image. On gift-receiving etiquette: My son received a couple of clothing gifts and promptly proclaimed them "boring!" Needless to say, we had a little talk afterward about saying thank you and being polite. Maybe it's the age? I hope he grows out of it. :-) Happy New Year to you and yours!
Sounds great, Holly! I really struggle with the materialism too. I also have a problem with knowing how much things cost (gifts from others) & thinking to myself how much further I could have taken that $. It's terrible. I don't mean it in a greedy way -- just that when you're a garage-saler/consignment shopper you know that you can really get a lot for, say, $10-20. But I know that's not the point of Christmas... I'm just warped! I just hate to see $ squandered when so many people are hungry out there!
We got an abundance of stuff with just 1 child. I can't imagine the loot with two. WOW!
It all sounds wonderful though -- even the church singing/yelling. Tee hee. Did you capture that on video? They'll love it some day...
Happy New Year & Welcome Back!!
Sounds wonderful, especially the Christmas concert! Happy New Year!
Thanks for the recap, sounds like a wonderful Christmas indeed. I love the chorus story. We had to have intense coaching sessions on what to say after opening presents before each and every present opening situation with Jackson. We had to cover all the scenarios, like duplicate toys, toys that turn out to be duds after a few minutes of play, clothes, somebody else gets something you want, and on and on.
Luckily it all went okay, but there were some close calls.
It all sounds great, even the choir concert.
Maybe Dads are just naturally better at knowing what a little boy wants. I don't know. It doesn't matter. They had a blast.
xo
I loved the choir concert best of all! That stuff lives on in family history....we still reminice about the Functioning Adult and his stratching himself in front of the entire audience at kindergarten graduation.
Sounds like you guys had fun....
Post a Comment
<< Home