Thursday Thirteen #5
|
1. We just got the news yesterday that Bug needs glasses for a moderate astigmatism. This bummed me out in a really big way. I know other kids with glasses, and honestly never though much about it, in fact they look darn right cute in their glasses. But now that it is Bug, well, I just think of all the hassles, and hope he won’t hate them….. 2. Even though I thought I had an early start, the Christmas/Holiday season is starting to overwhelm me. And I haven’t had time to blog. 3. This lack of blogging is FINE with regards to my own blog. I know I’ll get back in the groove, and I know the people I really care about visiting will hang in there and keep checking back. But what bothers me is that I am not able to keep up reading everyone else’s. Just know I am there in spirit, OK? And when I catch up? I actually DO catch up all the way to wherever I last left off. 4. Thank God for online shopping. 5. Bug got two pet mice a few weekends ago. The dog is going crazy over them. She keeps sneaking into his room at night after he is asleep to sniff at their cage. 6. The mice are both girls (we hope). Their names are Boots and Dora. Boots is white and grey and is called a “silky mouse”, and Dora is black and white and is a “plain” mouse. They have been lot’s of fun, for all of us! 7. I still want a guinea pig though. Just biding my time. 8. Bean is really starting to come into his own. His language has gone through a few explosions and his need for independence is “trying”, to say the least. 9. Potty training has NOT been so fruitful with Bean, though. He is 2 years and 4 months old, and not at ALL interested. I know I am not supposed to compare kids, but I still find myself remembering back when Bug was this age, and had already been in underwear a full month. I am not going to dwell on it though, Bean is a whole different kid in just about every way. And I am glad, most of the time. 10. Bean’s latest habit is to go into his room and close the door, right after breakfast in the morning. If I poke my head in, he yells “GO AWAY!”. Typically a ripe aroma is lingering within 5 minutes. He is going in there to poop, you see. I tried putting his little potty in his room to encourage him to use it, but to no avail. If you ask him “Where does poop go”? He will answer: “Um, in the diaper?” with a big grin on his face. 11. Karate is going well for Bug, but we need to practice. It has been painfully obvious in class that we aren’t. Yikes. Homework, already, and we haven’t even hit kindergarten. 12. It has been painfully cold here the past few weeks. With wind. I hate cold weather. It is just wrong. 13. Survivor is over for the season. That is one more hour I will have back per week to blog!! I am just glad Steph didn’t win. She was really getting on my nerves. Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. Raehan (Agog and Aghast) 2. MommaK (Petroville) 3. Carolyn (A Prairie View) 4. Buffi (Sugar Mommy) 5. Ammie (Sleeping Mommy) 6. Leanne (Intricate Art) 7. Colleen (Musings from the Edge) 8. Jak (It's not called SLO for nothing...) 8. Running2Ks (True Blue Semi-Crunchy Mama) 9. Marie (Practigal) 10. Lady Bug (Lady Bug Crossing) 11. Just a girl in the world 12. Lily Bleu 13. Renee (Fefyfomanna) 14. Uisce (Whiskey Talking) 15. J&J's Mom (Plum Crazy Millers) 16. Texas Ivy (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!) |
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants





14 Comments:
I can identify with your feelings. Glasses and young children are not a good mix. But, they do make some pretty tough glasses these days, so hopefully, you can find something that is both practical, but makes her look cute as well:) My 14 year is finally old enough to wear contacts, and that has been a big help. With the frequent trips to the eye doctor to repair his glasses, I wasn't sure how the contact thing would work. But he is doing surprisingly well with them.
I didn't watch Survivor faithly, and I can't even tell you who won -- but I DO know where she is from. Kansas:) just down the road. I really should pay better attention!
Thanks for the kind words Carolyn. The funny things is... Bug isn't bothered by this at all.
He is actually excited to get glasses just for the novelty of it. Hopefully the novelty doesn't wear off, and that they really do help him to the point of him wanting to use them.
Don't worry about the training--they get it when they do. My first didn't bother showing interest until 3 weeks before her third birthday--then Whammo!
Boots and Dora, of course :)
Happy Thursday 13!
Now you better stop feeling so guilty over not commenting on other's blogs. This is a busy time of the year and oh my gosh, YOU have a LIFE!!! LOL. It's all good ya know.
Thank God for online shopping indeed.
The good news is...contacts are wonderful things when they get older and they have much more refine lasik surgery now!! Not that I have the nerve to even try that myself!! ;0)
My 3 year old is having accidents like crazy so we had to put him back in pull ups at night...who knows why??? I guess they'll be ready when they're ready...hang in there!
My 13 are up...finally ;0) www.millers-adayinthelife.blogspot.com
Hey Holly!
Yes, it's a busy busy time... I went to the grocery store very early this a.m. to pick up some milk and baking supplies. I started adding to a list in my head of people I want to give "just a little something," and I thought I was going to have a coronary. Why do we do this to ourselves?
Love the poop story. I have a feeling that's how it will go here -- right after breakfast too! How nice that before long you'll be done with diapers!
Oh yeah. Online shopping rules. The Internet is my friend!
Mice?! Pet mice?! Oh my!!!! Wow!
We are very far from potty training Hannah and RAchel didn't do it until a few months before her third birthday.
Just make Bug feel super special because he "gets" to wear glasses. Maybe it will also help when he realized how much easier it is to see things.
Good luck with everything and throw a few karate kicks for me.
Ha! If it makes you feel any better, Isaac will be three in February and has absolutely NO interest. He doesn't even bother to go somewhere private when he needs to poop. I imagine we'll be putting him in a pull up for the prom.
But yes! The holidays are busy!
Man, I can't help you with the potty thing. Even though I got three girls on the pot with no problems, I can't get the boy out of diapers to save my life. He turned 4 in October. I'm giving up...
Best of luck to you, when you figure it out will you come train mine?
My 13 is up! http://jenanddavin.blogspot.com/
Oh you knew I'd have comments on the glasses! I have to disagree with the comment about glasses and young kids. We have had zero issues in the four years that Jackson has had his. But I can understand what you are feeling. They told us Jackson needed glasses at around nine months. A test done by his pediatrician sent us to a pediatric opthamologist. He got them at fifteen months. It seems so crazy to me now, but I remember how upset we were about it. We just didn't want anything bad to happen to Jackson and when we found out he needed glasses it really really upset us. We're talking tears, we were so worried for him we were almost sick. The opthamologist was very nice, both his children wore glasses and when he saw how upset we were and how bad we wanted the tests to tell us that he didn't really need glasses, he sat down with us and very politely put it into perspective. He told us that what he had discovered was that there were lots and lots of things that can go wrong with children and if our child was lucky enough to have something go wrong that you could fix as easy as putting on a pair of glasses, then we shouldn't be crying. The more we thought about it, the more we decided he was right. And by the time Ben came around we weren't worried about it at all. We just knew he would need them, but he didn't. And between you and me, we couldn't help but wonder how cute he would have been in them. Jackson has never pulled them off from day one. (although he has yet to ask for them or put them on in the morning by himself too, I don't know when that will happen) He's only needed to have one pair repaired in, what, four years? Other kids don't bother them. It's been so much less of an issue than I thought it would have been. And the fact is that it isn't even something that makes them stick out as the kid with glasses. There are at least four kids in Jackson's karate class with glasses and he's always had other classmates with glasses in each of his classes and tons in his school. And we don't even get the cool bendy ones because Jackson only likes the round gold frame style like his first pair. He actually wears an extremely old pair because he doesn't want to change to the pair we bought a year and a half ago. So in four years he is only on his second pair, we keep his newer ones as a spare in case something ever does happen to his main ones.
And as far as contacts, Jackson might choose them or he may not. I don't have a preference at all, just whatever he chooses. When the issue came up with his cousin who is fourteen, his cousin looked at us, pulled off his glasses and said "does this look like me?" It didn't. By the time he was fourteen his glasses had become part of him and he just didn't think he looked right without them so he chose to keep them. And we thought that sports would be an issue, but it hasn't at all. Jackson plays soccer in them and does his karate in them too, I don't recall them ever falling off accidentally in sports. Although they make him take them off when he grapples or spars, to be honest I'm not sure why though because he isn't supposed to be getting hit in the face anyway. lots more but this is getting waaay to long... sorry to go on and on.
wow, sorry, now that I see how long that was, I should have sent it in an email. whoops.
We are waiting until after the holidays to start the potty training. I dread it. A lot.
I have learned with my kids that alot of times they don't want to be watched while they "potty" so if you offer them time alone on the potty to do their business they come around to the idea A LOT faster. It's what worked with my oldest two. That and going into underwear full time, NO diapers at all. It confuses them.
Anyway, wanted to poke my "head" in to say hi and see your thirteen. I know how busy this time of year is for everyone. This is the first day I've had time to do more than read the blogs I subscribe to on bloglines. I usually read through everyone's posts every few days or so but only have time to really get around to comment once a week lately--and then most of the time i don't get to comment on everyone's.
Thanks Delane... I knew you would make me feel better about the glasses. Jackson is one of those kids I think looks really cute in glasses, and I figured you might be able to set my mind at ease about them.
Funny... I was just thinking today, that if glasses if the worst thing that Bug will have happen health-wise, then really, we are so very lucky. As sad as I was at first, I am already realizing that in the scheme of things, glasses are nothing. And if they help him, then they are wonderful!
Hey, I want to take the plunge, here's my link for Thursday 13...
http://juryizout.blogspot.com
Post a Comment
<< Home