Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas
Have you noticed this in the news? That some Christians are upset because people (and retailers) are using the phrase “Happy Holidays”? Yes, you say? How could you NOT, you ask?
I find this debate very annoying. Baffling, even. I mean, what is the point? Those who are crying “unfair” and threatening boycotts and the like, come across as pushy, arrogant…childish even.
So, really. Why do Christian's find the use of the term holiday so offensive? I am a (progressive) Christian, and yes - I believe that Jesus is the reason for the season (at least for Christians). But this is not the case for everyone who celebrates this time of year. People of Jewish faith have Chanukah. Many people celebrate Kwanza. And yet others who do not practice Christian faith per se (ie. agnostics, non-practicing Christians, etc.), celebrate Christmas for the pagan aspects of Santa Claus, and the joy of gift giving. There are even those who believe Jesus is our savior, but celebrate his birth at a different time, as Dec. 25th is not believed to be his true birth date.
So - for me at least - retailers and others who use the phrase "happy holidays" are not being exclusive, as some are asserting. Just the opposite... they are being inclusive of ALL people who have various celebrations in the month of December.
And as a Christian, I do not perceive the use of "happy holidays" as a threat or as disrespectful to my faith. In fact, I think to force retailers to highlight the Christian religious aspect of this season seems almost to cheapen it. I celebrate the religious aspect of the season with family and close friends. We participate in our church’s Christmas activities. But do I want retailers to be cashing in on this? Using Jesus to increase profits? Not really. I’d prefer they just stick with "Happy Holidays".
As to greeting others during this season, I know that I am free to wish people a "Merry Christmas", and I do. But it certainly doesn't hurt my feelings if I am wished "Happy Holidays". And many times, I too choose to wish people "Happy Holidays", especially when I'm not sure of their religious beliefs.
Everyone's beliefs are different, nothing is going to change that, and Christians are not being hurt by the use of “Happy Holidays”, so what is the big deal? Really… isn't it all good whenever you’re reaching out to others, spreading good cheer, being friendly.
So everyone… Merry Christmas and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!





8 Comments:
Can I just say a hearfelt AMEN here?
I share your feelings on this particular subject. Everyone needs to relax and just let each other be.
They are trying to ban kids from wearing RED and GREEN here in Plano, TX - can you believe that??? And one of the smaller surrounding areas didn't even have a holiday pageant.. they had a play about martians??? What is the world coming to???
It makes me crazy.
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!
And...Season's Greetings back!
Like Holli said, the de-Christmas-izing (is that a word?) is what's troubling to me. There are places where Christmas trees can no longer be called Christmas trees -- they're holiday trees. That's the kind of thing that bothers me. It's like some people would like Christianity to be watered down to something that will work for everyone, rather than letting it be what it is.
I don't really care about the phrasing of a greeting, though I tend to be a Merry Christmas-er! (except with my Jewish friends)
Yeah, I hear you guys. I suppose the homogenizing of Christmas is what pissed these folks off to begin with.
So, while I think boycotting for the use of "Happy Holidays" is far too extreme, I also wish the other side would stop raising a stink when Christmas traditions are practiced in public places. Then, maybe we could all just get along!
I'm a Happy Holidays kinda guy that loves the whole season. We are a Baby Jesus family, but promote Santa Claus pretty big too. And we make sure that our kids know about Kwanzaa and Hanukkah too. I love Benjamin's "Elmo's Happy Holidays" dvd that explains all the different ways to celebrate the season.
Jackson went to church with his grandfather this past weekend and we didn't think about the Santa thing until after he was already there. Southern Baptists around here can be pretty hard on poor old Santa. Rudolf and Frosty too. We were really worried that Jackson would come home asking why it was bad to believe in Santa Claus. Luckily he just came home telling us how red was the color of blood and green was the color of sin. Not sure Jackson or I either one knew what that meant, but at least they didn't pick on Santa.
Yeah Mayberry, we're the same. We talk about how Christmas is about Baby Jesus, but we are also big on Santa Claus. I wrote the kids a letter back from the North Pole, which talked about what they asked for, that they'd been good this year, etc. and needed to continue to be... And also a part about remembering how Christmas is Jesus' birthday. So, I tied it all together for them. I was actually quite proud of myself!
I will never understand why some churches are anti-Santa, because we are talking about something so special for kids, and what really is the harm? We can allow the two aspects of Christmas to co-exist.
And the color thing? That is some scary shit that this church teaches kids of such a tender age. I wouldn't know what to say if my kids came home with that either. Yikes.
My radio station KLOVE.com is reminding Christians that Holidays are a verision of Holy Days and they need to chill about the whole thing.
I think the whole thing started with a Lowes in TX selling Holiday Trees...wrong place to try that, huh?
I have all sorts of friends, so I say Happy Holidays because some of them celebrate more than one too. :D
Merry Christmas to you and Happy Holidays too.
here's my 13
http://lillyput.blogspot.com
Post a Comment
<< Home