37 Candles
Tuesday was my birthday, I turned 37. I can remember clearly a time when I thought this was OLD.
Remember the TV show "thirty something"? I remember watching that show like once or twice, and thinking, "How boring is this? These people need to get a life". And now here I am, living it. Or something like it. Granted, I didn't really follow that show, so I'm assuming there was likely much more drama than what I saw those few times... otherwise why would people have even watched it? So OK. My life is probably even more boring...
However, even though I am living a completely different life than I ever thought I would in my early twenties - and YES it is much more mundane than I envisioned - it is a life that I am happy and content with.
When Firedaddy and I got married, we both agreed we wouldn't have children. Neither one of us were interested in that life - we were into travelling, exploring, living the "foot loose and fancy free" kind of lifestyle. And yes, looking back, we were selfish in many ways. But I wouldn't change those years, they were truly wonderful and we both matured together in so many ways.
Then, close to my 30th birthday, the urgent desire for a baby knocked me over the head. It was relentless, and it took me by surprise. However, it took two more years to convince FD we should make this drastic change in course, and so at 32 I got pregnant, and gave birth for the first time 2 weeks after my 33rd birthday. I gave birth the second time a few weeks before my 35th birthday. An "old" mother by many standards, but seemingly more and more common these days.
So now, we live a completely different life. It has been challenging and rewarding. Honestly, some days I long for the old days when we were free to do anything we wanted. But most days I am content, happy, amused. I wouldn't change a thing. And I know we are blessed beyond belief.





10 Comments:
Have a very happy and momentous 37th!
Enjoy the day with fanily, counting those blessings.
Hi Holly! I am so glad that you decided to have children, I want to cry when I think about them not being here part of my life....I am pathetic I know! Anyway, I can also appreciate the "free to do anything days" but you know what is funny, even when I have a babysitter and am "free" I can't wait to get back home to my new mondane life! How wierd is that.
chas
Not weird at all Chas... I feel the same :o) Even when they are at their most annoying, I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Happy belated birthday, Holly!
I'm an older Mom too... Married at 36, had my son at 38. There's something to be said for doing this later. I think I appreciate it all much more than I would have when I was in my 20s.
Happy 38th year!!
congratulations! I hit 37 this year too. but I couldn't imagine having small children at my age. good for you!
Happy Birthday! Its sad that we are hitting the ages that we used to consider to be so old!
Argh, happy birthday, I am a total loser, I owe you a birthday drink. Whatcha doin' tomorrow?
Happy Birthday!!!
Holly, we have a lot in common. I had my first child at 32, my second at 35, and now I am 37.
Weird!!!
Happy Belated Birthday!!
Happy belated birthday!!
Post a Comment
<< Home