Birth Order
I have a friend who mentioned the other day that her 4 year old was still having potty training accidents at night. He is her second child. And just like my oldest son, her older son was night trained much faster and much easier. Child number 2 seems to be bringing her back to potty-training reality. And I fear I may be seeing my future.
Now, new parents may operate under the delusion that fast potty trainers are the result of their excellent parenting skills. I know I did. In fact, I was darn right proud of the fact that Bug was fully daytime trained and in regular underwear by 2 ½ and fully nighttime trained in underwear (with very rare accidents) by 3.
But I’ve learned so many other lessons in how different siblings can be even under the same guidance and techniques by their parents, that I am no longer operating under this delusion.
For example. When Bean was born, I thought he was just the easiest baby. We started breast feeding effortlessly right away, with no latching issues. He rarely cried (as long as you don’t count the nightly hour-long “witching hour”). He wasn’t as gassy as Bug was as a baby (and the gas issue was hard). He went to sleep on his own at a much earlier age. He was just easy.
But then he turned one. And everything changed. And no. I am NOT exaggerating. It really was practically overnight.
Looking back, it is clear that his carefree babyhood was due to mine and Firedude’s ease and comfort in our roles as parents. We were Newbies with Bug, he sensed our nervousness and uncertainty. But with Bean, there was no TIME for nervousness, and besides… we had completed infant/baby 101 with passing grades! We were comfortable in our parenting shoes and he reaped the benefits. We were pro's!
But. Once Bean came into his own, and realized his own autonomy, well then his REAL (spitfire) personality came out. He has a temper! He screams louder! He is ferocious!
Now, I realize that all children are different, and OF COURSE siblings are going to have different personalities. I never expected (nor wanted) Bean to be a clone of Bug. And I don’t consider either one to be better than the other, they do each have different challenges, mostly based on their age appropriate behavior. I love them both and I am fine with the fact that Bug tends to be easy going while Bean has a mind of his own that goes far beyond the typical 2-year old attitude. Easy or hard, I wouldn't change either one of them. And of course, even with his basic easygoing personality, even Bug challenges me. Like his non-stop talking, for example? But I digress....
In talking with other parents, and observing the behavior of various children based on birth order, I have come to the conclusion that IN GENERAL, second children are just HARDER and more WILLFUL than first children (not counting the early months). Yes, yes. I know I am not the first to come to this conclusion, this is truly nothing earth shattering. But before, I chalked it down to stereotyping and basically dismissed such beliefs. Whereas now, I think there just might be something to it.
Now, if you only have one child, and you think they are already a handful – don’t take this to mean you should re-think having another one. Because of course I have also seen exceptions – difficult first children, and the reward of easygoing second children for those parents daring enough to press on. So if you want more than one child, but currently have a difficult first child… I say press on! You will probably be rewarded.
But, I still maintain that in general, firsts are easy. And seconds are spitfires. Since I don’t have any more than 2, I have no idea after that.
So my question to you other bloggers with children (young or grown) is… WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS? IS THERE SOME SORT OF THEME TO TEMPERAMENTS AND BIRTH ORDER?
OR DO YOU BELIEVE IT IS PURELY PERSONALITY DRIVEN, AND MY OBSERVATIONS ARE PURELY COINCIDENCE?





7 Comments:
I'm certain there is something to birthorder..HOWEVER..my second was/is soooo much easier than my first. Maybe it's because he had food dye allergy issure (1st son) that made him crazy...but #2 son is very good at entertaining himself is completely potty trained (by 2 and 8 months) sleeps wonderfully, is a bit of a picky eater but then what 2-3 yr old isn't...and he copies everything his brother does both good and bad. The only thing that drives me crazy is that he laughs ALLL the time even when he's in trouble and doesn't know when to stop~! Sorry, I left a total dissertation here...but I hope I answered your question ;0) I think three would crazy!! n I only have two hands!
Our darling Emily is a loaded pistol and yes, we're pressing on, crossing all fingers toes and eyes that daughter #2 is e-a-s-y.
It happened in my own nuclear family too. My big sister was hell on wheels, then I was the happy blob cheerily sucking my thumb. Just put me in my playpen and throw cookies! I resembled the Michelin Man but happy and easy. Then little bro came along and my folks learned the term "Holy Terror."
So I say watch out for #3! lol
T&C
Well, neither of my children were all that easy. They both were challenging in different ways.
My sister in law followed your pattern, first one easy, second one very hard. Now that they are teenagers it has shifted the other way.
My oldest's problem right now is the same as yours---non-stop talking. She can't not talk.
I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but my second child is MUCH more difficult than the first. She is cute as a button, which helps us deal with a willfull streak a mile wide. But LORDY, I can only imagine how she'll be when she's older. At least at age 2 she still listens to me!
(For what it's worth, though, I think she will latch onto potty training much more easily than her older brother, who at age 3.5 is just getting the hang of it.)
I am a firstborn, and I am the spitfire!
But I have one kid, and she is a total joy. She makes me SO nervous to have another one for fear of what will come!
True,
Don't be afraid to have another. Even if she/he is a spitfire you will love her/him just as much.\
Holly, everything okay? I miss you.
I'd be willing to bet it just depends on the kid's personality. My son's dad tried to start pottytraining the kiddo when he was about 2, although I told him I refused to start that early at my house (although we had a potty -- I just didn't push the issue). Sometime around the kiddo's third birthday, he decided he was finally interested and was trained in a week. His dad has always tried to rush things (maybe because he's an older dad and doesn't want to miss anything?), whereas I take a more child-led approach, more or less. Seems to work...?
Post a Comment
<< Home