PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


Katrina aftermath

There are lot's of blog discussions about the mess down in the gulf and I've been too absorbed in all of those to put anything here. But I will say that I am so grateful that those I know (in person and in blogland) who have family in the impacted areas all received word from their loved ones. Thank God.

For those who didn't have the resources to get out, I have despaired. And yes, like many others who have articulated it so well, I am frustrated at the slow response from our federal government. For such an advanced country with the resources we have, I am simply in shock that people were not provided with food for over 4 days, that nobody came to help local law enforcement keep order, that people were locked down in hospitals for over 4 days and doctors had to decide who would live and who would die as supplies ran low, and so many other shocking details. This is America, for crying out loud! How something like that happen here? I still weep at the images of scared parents holding weeping babies and young children. Of old people tossed aside in wheelchairs. Thousands of them, herded into "safe places" and then forgotten.

It is clear now, that homeland security rules and regulations have caused aid organizations like FEMA to lose their former ability to act quickly and decisively. SBFH, Agog and Aghast, and True Jersey Girl all articulated the very frustration I feel, each in their own different way. Thank you all for saying exactly what I feel.

Now, to the bright spots - our very own fellow Americans. Where our own federal government is sluggish and inept, everyday people have stepped in and done their part. Where we live, there are efforts to get much needed donated goods to 1,000 displaced NO residents who were taken to a local city. Our local fire department has sent numerous firefighters to the worst hit areas for cleanup. My own church's pastor had family hit hard who are coming here, and many people in our town donated money to help them. And via another blog (and I apologize, I cannot even remember which one now...) this creative duo of Mommy's clearinghouse was posted: http://beenthere.typepad.com/been_there/.

And yes, Americans are donating money to the Red Cross and other groups in staggering amounts.

So thank you, my fellow bloggers, for your thoughtful posts on the good, the bad and the ugly of the Katrina aftermath. I look forward to the news getting better with each passing day, and pray that our government will learn from this, and not try to sweep it under the rug.

4 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

I am trying to stay focused on the positive (which can be hard) and on doing what I can to help. I can't deal with the negativity right now. There will be plenty of time to point fingers later.

 
At 9/08/2005 06:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. The good news is on both sides of the political spectrum, citizens are rolling up their sleeves and helping, like you say.

 
At 9/10/2005 02:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you research the matter sufficiently: The federal government was turned away by state and local government because they--the state and local politicos--didn't want the world to know what a mess they had made over the past sixty years, during which the Democrats controlled matters, especially in New Orleans, politically and economically, when it came to preparing for disasters of this magnitude.

They have known since New Orleans was first settled that this was a certain probability. They knew the pump systems that otherwise keep New Orleans dry would fail if the leeves were breeched, and they were. They knew what needed to be done and they refused to do it when the worst-case scenario came to be reality: Dozens of school buses, for example, that could otherwise been used to transport people to safety were left to ruin and rot because the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of LA. refused to let them be put to appropriate use.

So before you start making accusations and leveling charges that are undeniably wrong in fact and truth get the relevant fact and truth.

 
At 9/12/2005 09:37:00 PM, Blogger Holly said...

My dear anonymous,

Where do I begin?

First of all, I never said the Federal Government was responsible for the lack of preparedness in New Orleans. I said they were TOO SLOW to react when Americans were in need of their help, and dying. FEMA was stumbling around for days, and nobody can deny that. It is that which makes me angry.

The state and local government declared a Federal State of Emergency Saturday night - you'd a thought the Feds might have come along a little sooner than Thursday...

Or is it YOUR opinion that because NO wasn't prepared, the innocent people in the city should just be abandoned to teach the state and local government a lesson?

Second, if you want to leave snide comments on my blog, please do me the courtesy of at least signing your name. It is cowardly to do otherwise.

Peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home