Am I being too nosy... or not nosy enough?
I work from home 2-3 days a week. Earlier this week, I noticed two small children in the yard of the house across the street from us. This house was completed last winter and the 60-something year old couple is having the landscaping done now. So, the yard is still just dirt.
I wondered if the children were their grandkids, perhaps they had family over helping in the yard that day. Later, they weren’t there anymore. This morning around 9:00 am, the kids were back. The girl looked to be about Bug’s age, around 4 or maybe even 3. The boy looked like he might be around 16-18 months.
When I noticed them out the window, they looked bored, just wandering around the dirt yard. As I watched longer, it became apparent that they were the children of one of the two men working in the yard. There were a few toys by his car in the driveway, but neither kid was very interested in them. Then, the little girl talked to the guy, and ran into the garage and started yanking on the door into the house. She couldn’t get in. She turned around and went back to him. He took her back, spanked her bottom hard a few times, jerked her pants off and took her inside. She must have had an accident, and couldn’t hold it while trying to get inside.
By this time, I was screaming inside, unable to tear myself away from watching them. I called the neighbors, wanting to offer to loan some outdoor playthings for the kids to use – a wagon, tricycle, coloring books/stickers - but they didn’t answer and I left a message.
By noon, the little girl had been playing in the dirt with a rake for hours and the little boy was just standing by his (presumably) father and the other guy. They had been out there for 3 hours, and I never saw a snack or drink offered and those two little kids had to just entertain themselves in a dirt yard. Granted, I wasn't watching every single second, but still.
The little guy started crying, and I watched as his dad then picked him up and tenderly rocked him as they sat on a large decorative rock. My heart was breaking and I wanted more than anything to run out there and offer my son’s playroom, Bean’s crib for the little guy – anything to make those kid’s day a little better. But I had talked to Firedaddy on the phone earlier, and he said to leave it alone, that everyone raises their kids differently.
Given that the kids were dressed in what looked like decent clothes (albeit not as warmly as I would dress mine for a brisk October morning, as the little guy had on shorts and the little girl capri’s, and it was a little chilly at 9:00). And given that he did gently rock the little guy that way.... I held back. But I never stopped watching, and even opened the window a little so I could hear too. I started wondering if he would make the little guy take a nap in the back seat of the car. That would have sent me over the edge.
Then, I watched him put the little guy down, and the little guy started wailing. The little girl reappeared from the side of the house with the rake she had. I continued to watch as the father walked toward the other guy. And I thought “If they start shoveling and working again, that’s it – I’m going over there to offer the playroom and crib”.
But he didn’t, he gathered up landscaping tools and carried them toward the car. At that point, my neighbor walked out and toward them. I heard the dad say to my neighbor, “Yeah, we’re leaving, he is just really tired and she…” (I didn’t hear what he said about the little girl).
Really bored, maybe????
I watched as he put the children in the car, each time very gently though, not rough. I was watching very carefully. He didn’t appear to be angry at them. When he spoke to my neighbor, his voice sounded nice. And leaving once the little guy got tired seemed to be something they had planned for, not something that he was upset over. I watched as the other guy loaded tools, and then the dad loaded the toys in the trunk. And then I watched them drive away.
I cannot know the circumstances of why he takes two young children with him to do landscaping work. Maybe his wife is sick. Maybe she works in the mornings and this is their schedule. Maybe the kids normally go to daycare, but the provider is closed this week. Maybe, maybe, maybe.
Maybe not. And if not – if those kids go to work with him all the time – what if it is bitter cold outside? What then? It is the not knowing that is eating me up. Maybe it is none of my business, but shouldn't the welfare of innocent children who cannot stand up for themselves be everyone's business? Maybe I am over-reacting. Maybe I didn't react enough. I don't know.
My neighbors haven't called me back. I wish I knew more, because I start imagining all sorts of terrible things, like maybe this is the life those kid’s lead every single day. Boredom, spankings for accidents, no snacks, being out in extreme elements… and I sincerely can’t bear that thought. I know worse things happen, but this something I can SEE happening and IF my worst thoughts were true – I would want to help them somehow (without making things worse for them).
So I will keep watching whenever I am here. And maybe my neighbors will call me back. Surely they would know why their landscaping guy brings his toddler and preschooler to work in the outdoors, and whether it is a normal thing for him to do or not. They seem like good people, I know they are devout Christians – I have to believe they would know if something was amiss. I have to, because this is tearing me up.
What would you do?
UPDATE:
The neighbor lady finally did call back. Firedaddy talked to her, since I was putting Bug to bed. She said to thank me for the sweet offer, and that they went to church with the guys and the kids were his, not their grandkids.
Then, a few nights later, Firedaddy had just left for his trip, and I took Bug and Bean to a local sub shop for dinner. And the same family was there. Which was kind of freaky for me, since I've never seen them before, and here they are, right after I worried so much.
The little boy and Bean actually played chase while we were waiting for our order. The Mom mentioned that her little guy was 2 (he looks younger, because he is much smaller than Bean). The Mom was young, very pretty, and the little girl looked just like her Mom, just beautiful and sweet. She looked like she was definitely 4.
The Dad dressed like one of those tap-dancing hip-hoppers, had multiple piercings in his ears, piercing blue eyes, and dread-locked blonde hair. He seemed nice, the whole family seemed like they cared for one another.
Then, I got up the nerve to say that I recognized the kids from when they worked on our neighbor's yard last week. He thought for a moment, and said Oh, yeah... on XXX Lane. We go to church with the "XXX's". He was really nice, and when they left (we ate there, they took their order to go), both parents said 'bye'.
Anyway, the way he said it was like it wasn't a normal thing for him to take the kids on outings like that, and he WASN't working, he was just helping out fellow parisheners.
I feel SO much better.





9 Comments:
Oh my goodness. This made my heart race! What would I do? I would probably probe around with the neighbors to see if this is the "norm." How terrible for those children. I wonder if the little one ever got a clean diaper? Or would he have been spanked for filling a diaper. Sorry, but that part really got to me. I find that it's really hard to resist being mother to the world -- I've wanted desperately to bring children home with me from WalMart.
If I were really brave I would just go out and start a friendly conversation with him, without stating any judgments, to see what is going on with them. I could well be that there was something keeping the kids from school, day care, or mom. You just never know.
And maybe he could use help or advice. It sounds frustrating for everyone.
I also work from home a lot and have "noticed" things that I never paid attention to before. You know what I have learned... there is always more to the story than you think.
Everyone parents differently, and since you saw him being caring and gentle, I would assume that he may have been stuck with the kids (which would explain a lack of snacks, but that can also be explained by the fact that it is a dad : ). Offer the outdoors toys if you see them again. If he says no, let it be...
I vote "over-reacting" in case anyone is interested. :-)
I would want to know - and I would have been torn too. It sucks that you can't be every parents, can't take in every stray dog, can't save the world. I always say the world wouldn't be the way it is if I was in charge. Which is why I'm president here in Holliworld.. and sometimes what they do in the other worlds is upsetting. :( But you don't always know the circumstances either.
I don't think you're nosy.. I just think you care. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's something to be proud of.
I think you handled it the best way possible, and I would just keep my eye out for them in the next few days, to see what goes on. I know exactly how you feel--there is something about a child that just makes me feel protective, whether he's mine or not. I will hope for the best--that those kids generally have somewhere else to go, that he was especially tired and frustrated today and that's why the spanking occurred, that tomorrow will be a better day for all of them (and you).
Thanks for the kind and thoughtful words everyone. I really do hope I was overreacting.
And I do hope for the best, that the spanking over the little girls potty training accident was just one of those bad parenting moments that we all have.
I mean, I've had plenty of my own bad parenting moments, so I can definitely cut some slack for ANY parent over those.
There was just something so heartbreaking watching it from afar, with no details or background. And yes, the tender moment with the tiny boy did help. The fact that he took them home after the 3 or so hours of work did help, instead of forcing tired children to keep sticking it out.
I will keep my eyes open, and if they should reappear, I will kindly offer the wagon, trike, and few other things for the kids in a non-meddling "nice neighbor" kind of way. And hope that he receives it the way I am intending - as a helping hand and nothing more.
I think you did the right thing - nothing but you were watchful. We can't know everyone situations and some people's lives would make our hair stand on end, but I believe it does take a village and you did a good thing by keeping an eye on them.
Yep I agree. See if they come back and just offer some outside toys. Also if I saw the neighbors outside, I would prob. wander over and start a conversation about the yard-how its coming along etc and see if I could offer anything for the 2 kids. (I'd have been looking out my window too!)~mama
Post a Comment
<< Home