PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


The Working Mom’s perspective

Amy at POW recently wrote about her feelings as a stay at home mom (SAHM) when working mom’s make certain comments. Comments such as: “I don’t know how you do it, I need to work or I would lose my mind” or “I’m a much better mom because I work. If I stayed at home, I’d be a total basket case all the time”.

And the truth is, I myself have made comments exactly like these, but not with the intention of making a SAHM feel bad about themselves. In fact, I always thought I was doing the opposite, by pointing out that staying at home with young children is the hardest job I can imagine, and as a working mom I may just have it easier in many ways.

After finding out that these things were not always taken as compliments, Amy’s post got me thinking a lot about it. The whole topic really touched a nerve for me too, except that I am in the other position, the “working mom”.

At first I jumped right to my “usual” line of thinking, that I am a better Mom by working, and I couldn’t hack it staying at home. That I’d be a total shitfest of a Mother because I’m not crafty or patient enough, blah blah blah. Everything that Amy said made her feel like a loser. And after really stopping and thinking about it, I guess I can see why. It is like telling a SAHM that what they do all day is mindless and boring ( I really don’t think this!!)

So I thought about it some more. And upon deeper reflection, I realized that the real reason working mom’s make comments like these is far more complex. I mean, there might be a small piece of truth in it, but if that was ALL there was to it, we wouldn’t feel the need to say it, right? We wouldn’t feel any need whatsoever to justify why we work. And truthfully? I know I COULD hack it as a SAHM, so it is lame of me to say I couldn't.

I guess that there is some level of defense in these comments, because we working mom’s have been judged by a small minority of very vocal SAHM’s time and time again as being “selfish” and that it is “wrong to be allowing somebody else to raise our children”.

It is comments such as these and others, such as: “we are lucky enough to allow Jane to stay at home with the baby” or “we have made sacrifices in order to allow Jane to stay home with the baby” that cause working mom’s to feel judged.

It implies to us, you see, that we are not “lucky” or we are not “willing to make sacrifices”. It implies that we are unlucky and forced into servitude. Or that we are terrible people for choosing servitude; and that our children will surely suffer and turn out all wrong for it.

One of my favorite bloggers, True Jersey Girl, recently went back to work after a long period of time at home with her little girl. The decision for her to go back to work was not an easy one, it was obvious both she and her husband struggled with it, but in the end they determined it was the best thing for their family. When she wrote about it, somebody left an anonymous comment that it was a “selfish decision”. That one comment by some anonymous troll cut her so deep, that she wanted to stop blogging altogether. And I can completely understand that.

Thank God she was convinced by her many good blogging friends to keep at it, and now that she is back to work and her daughter is thriving at the daycare center that they chose, it is so obviously WRONG that somebody would judge a decision like that, without knowing the reasons, all of the factors which were considered. Because unless you know every single factor that went into making a decision, you cannot possibly know what is best for any given family. It really put a spotlight on the nastiness of it all.

So it cuts both ways, see? Working or staying at home, there are mom’s out there who out of some form of insecurity have vocally judged the other camp, and in the end there is a huge unmistakable rift. Nobody can possibly win.

The reality is, that just like every decision that parents must make, there is no “one size fits all” and as T’pon at Prolly All the Time so wisely pointed out not too long ago, as long as our decisions don’t result in any real abuse, IT’S ALL GOOD.

Deviant Woman recently wrote a thought-provoking post about how women judge other women, often based on outward appearances. She discussed it in the context of the book “Goodnight Nobody”, and also in the context of the judging of other mom’s attending playgroups. Indeed, in all areas of life, there are examples of women judging other women who do not conform to their own image of normalcy, or who threaten them in some way.

But it is the judging amongst mothers that frustrates me the most, because no matter what choices we make, we are all universally mom’s and we make our choices with the best interests of our children and family in mind. Sometimes we mom’s even make choices which are the hardest thing for ourselves personally, but are right for the family unit.

The point is, to tell a mother that they are not a “good mother” because of their choices, is the single most hurtful thing a person can say.

Like Deviant Woman, I do not want to hate other women. So for me, the judging of other women’s decisions ends here. We are all women, mom’s or otherwise, and we all need the support of one another.

13 Comments:

At 10/15/2005 05:50:00 PM, Blogger hollibobolli said...

Sigh.. this is such a complicated topic. I see how hard it is to be a SAHM, because when I'm at home with Faith - it's only me, and I don't have any support system here in Texas.. I know how hard it is to be a working mom too - because I've had to do that since Faith was a tiny baby and there is nobody else to help pay the bills, etc.. I think there are ups and downs to both situations. I wouldn't judge anyone - because everyone does what they think is best for their family, and in the end - it truly is "their family". I just wish I had options. If I did - I might feel a little better about things.

I think it's great you're able to see things from both sides.. and bring a topic to light in a good way that seems to really strike a nerve with a lot of people.

Hugs.

Holli

 
At 10/15/2005 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Yes, Holli - I wanted to add a section on how single Mom's like yourself don't even have a choice, and that is the worst situation of all, not even having the opportunity to consider any other option.

I don't know if you ever feel judged for being a working mom, but if you ever do, that is the worst judgement of all, because after all, what choice do you have? I think it must be that way for impoverished women as well, single or married.

But this post got so much longer than I ever intended, and I ended up having to cut it short and leave so many thoughts out.

It is indeed a complicated topic.

 
At 10/16/2005 07:04:00 AM, Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

I think your statement, "Nobody can possibly win," kind of sums it up. I mean, I can't think of a single thing anyone could say about their own situation that someone else wouldn't find a way to take as an insult...because we're all so sensitive about our choices and put ourselves through so much unnecessary guilt. If we can remember that others' statements about their own situation have more to do with their own efforts to describe (or sometimes defend/justify) their own situations, and usually nothing to do with judging the person they're talking to, we can stay a lot calmer and know that motherhood takes on all sorts of appearances, and there's no one right way to be a mom. :-)

 
At 10/16/2005 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Piece of Work said...

You're right, Holly. I'm not sure why people feel the need to judge other mothers for doing things in a different way. But it is that judgement that makes all of us so sensitive. And also--it is because I doubt myself a little--why DONT I want to get a "more important' job? Is it because I'm not as smart, or don't have what it takes? Probably not, but just like choosing to work, choosing to stay at home is really difficult too. And like Holli mentioned, it's exponentially worse when you don't have any options at all. In my family, my father truly believes that the goal in life is to get a good job, that society values. (IN other words, teaching, social work, things like that don't count). He has never said anything directly to me, and he wouldn't, because he loves me. But I know that he can't understand why I am staying home, that he thinks it's lazy and unnecessary. So there's an insecurity in me that comes from my upbringing. I would guess that many people have similar stories. Maybe they're parents don't think women should work at all, or whatever.
You are right, it is an incredibly complicated issue, and complicated in different ways for different people.
But it's nice that we're all trying--at least in this circle--to value each other. Thanks!

 
At 10/16/2005 09:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really thoughtful post. I have been both a working mom and a SAHM, and i can say that both are hard and both are great. Well, actually, SAHM is less stressful for me personally.

And I agree with your second to last paragraph completely because what i learned from the whole process is that every woman's choice is extremely personal and painful and no one should judge.

I find that with the excepton of a few women I've met, most mothers are very tolerant of the choices other mothers have made.

 
At 10/16/2005 09:37:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I didn't get a chance to comment on Amy's post, but when I read it I thought, wow, I thought, if not directly stated, those same exact sentiments when I worked full-time. I wanted so badly to justify my decision to work. I felt guilty about 1) not staying at home and 2) not feeling guilty enough about not staying at home (boy, that was convoluted). But I hope I never made any of my SAHM friends feel bad by my own feelings of inadequacy.

Now I'm staying at home and freelancing just part-time. I'm pretty comfortable with this decision and really enjoy being able to both spend more time with my kids and still remain in my field a bit. Despite all the layers of defenses I may have put up with regard to working, I do respect all women's decisions and don't feel judgmental when someone chooses or is unable to choose a different path.

I hope some of this makes sense! Thanks very much for this post.

 
At 10/17/2005 10:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out!

I have immense respect for anyone who takes on the challenge of rasing adults... because it is hard, hard work and every-freaking-one has an opinion.

I have decided that if I can wake up and feel 85% great about the family and everything thatis going on with Bean... well, that is a pretty good day.

 
At 10/17/2005 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Holly, well I can tell you this week as a SAHM I wish I had a job! 95% of the time I don't feel that way, but sometimes I think it sure would be nice. Just as I am sure sometimes you wish you could stay at home with the boys some days. Then realty hits and we realize we made the decision we did because that is what works for us. Just wanted to let you know, no judgements here! We love ya!

 
At 10/17/2005 01:50:00 PM, Blogger hollibobolli said...

Oh.. the worst judgements came from being pregnant and "not married".. and some of the suggestions from complete strangers as to what I should do.. wow - just blew my mind. But honestly, you can only do your best with what you're given at the time. So to a certain extent - I did have some choice and I'm really glad I made it.. otherwise, I wouldn't have Faith!

:)

 
At 10/17/2005 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I can honestly say I feel like I've hit the jackpot with the part-time/work at home thing. I feel so fortunate that I don't want to jinx anything by saying that I really like it!

So far, only one person has said to me "Must be nice!" and that made me so mad! Everyone juggles & does what they have to do to make things work for their families.

 
At 10/17/2005 07:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your post. I have erased my response several times because each one is too long. There is just too much to say on the topic. So I'll just say that you have touched on a very important issue to all parents and I enjoy your perspective on it.

 
At 10/17/2005 08:00:00 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Beck, you really nailed it on the head. I am at peace with my own situation, therefore I realize now there is no need to justify my choices to anyone else. That has really set me free.

Amy, thank YOU for your insightful post, as well. It got me thinking in ways I hadn't before, and the whole thought process helped me a lot.

Raehan, you are right, it is unfortunately just a few "rotten apples" who have caused such feelings in me (and others). Sigh.

Suzanne, that is so wonderful that you have a situation you are comfortable with. I am working toward reducing my working hours to part time, and already my hours are quite flexible and 50% from home. Not that my kids can be home with me when I work, mind you, but it does allow me to get other things done (ie. multitasking while on the phone!) What has been key for me is assuring myself that if WE are comfortable with it (we are) then nobody else's opinions should really matter. That was hard for me, but I feel like I am finally there.

T'pon - thanks for making me laugh! You are always good at that!

Chas - Thanks for your loving support and non-judgment. It means a lot.

Holli - I am so sorry you have had to deal with such judgmental people on so many fronts. I think you made GREAT choices in step of the way, and continue to every day (based on your own insightful writing).

Marie - you are right, everyone does juggle and do what they have to. It all comes down to striking a balance we can live with (and hopefully if we are really blessed - not just live with, but really enjoy!)

Mayberry - thank you, this is such a touchy topic, and I really love the fact that I can post my thoughts and receive thoughtful comments from everyone, no matter what their situation and their perspective.

You are all such a wonderful, caring,diverse group of people!!

 
At 10/24/2005 01:38:00 PM, Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I've been a totally hermit with this tonsil thing so I don't even know if you'll see this comment, but this was beautifully put, and absolutely true. It's all our insecurities, in all areas of life, and all humans, that make us fearful and judgemental and defensive. And the thing is, it's always going to be something. I avoid the SAHM/working mom thing for the most part with my wacky schedule, but then I fall into the single/divorced mom thing. Sigh. We all are so afraid of finding out that those voices in our heads that tell us what screwups we are are right...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home