PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


Let the deep breathing begin

No, no, no... get your mind out of the gutter. Not THAT kind of deep breathing. Geez.

I meant the kind of deep breathing required (for me anyway) to deal with two young children sans spouse. Firedaddy is on (yet another) business trip, to Ireland. Today is day 1... of 5 days, and I aim to complete this mission with nary a single appearance of Mean Mommy. That is the goal anyway.

This afternoon went quite well, after picking the monsters up from preschool. Until dinner, that is. As we dug into our meatball sandwiches, Bug inexplicably changed from a sweet, charming two year old boy to a writhing, screaming THING. WHY you ask? I do not know. He's two. First, I tried to find out what was the matter. No success. So, next I tried to ignore him. Until both Bug and I realized we had our hands over our ears, and could no longer eat. So, I finally took him to his room to let him thrash around for 5 or 10 minutes until he returned on his own, ready to eat again.

The next hurdle was taking Bug to karate. It went so well, after all, the last time I had to take Bean with us (yes, I know, so MUCH sarcasm...)

This time, I forewarned Bug that I may have to leave, so if he turned to look for me, not to get upset if he didn't see me. And indeed, Bean and I had to make a quick trip to the car, and the library 2 minutes away, and back again, due to his loud screaming and kicking, at not being able to join Bug in the karate class. This episode was handled pretty well, with lot's of deep breathing and counting to ten.

Finally, home to baths and bed. Which went OK, except that I was worn out, and just wanted them to magically be in bed asleep without any effort on my part. Which, of course, didn't happen.

But I am proud to report that Day 1 is complete, with both kids in bed, and Mean Mommy successfully suppressed.

This is due, in part, to the book I picked up at a used bookstore last week, "The Tao of Motherhood" by Vimala McClure. It has many little gems in it, including the following:

***********************************************************************************
Anger

When you feel angry with your child, know that something rational must be done. State your feelings honestly, then withdraw to process your emotions and make a plan.

Striking out, either physically or emotionally, may succeed in getting through to the child, but it will also plant the seeds of guilt. Guilt is followed by resentment and bitterness. A victory can therefore end in failure.

Too many such victories and you will witness the death of your child's trust.
***********************************************************************************

Ouch. Mean Mommy could kill my children's trust with her yelling voice, if she makes too many appearances, so Mean Mommy must die! DIE Mean Mommy DIE!!

Right. So Day 1 is complete and Mean Mommy was overcome. Today's battle was won, but there are 4 more days to go in the war. So now, I will go pour myself a glass of wine to celebrate and plot my next move.

9 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 09:08:00 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Cheers to your success!! Although I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself, I'm rooting for you:)

 
At 11/29/2005 07:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did fine to me.

I've never figured out what happens in transition for two year olds....one minute, they're fine. The next? They turn TWO!

My putting Dyl into his crib to finish his fit is over, however. He took a flying leap, head first, over the rail last week. Bruised his head, and cut it. Daddy was pretty freaked out. We lowered the crib, and took off the front (it's one of those expensive transitional beds that my mother in law instisted on) and purchased the RAIL!!!! He's doing good so far. Except at nap time..;)

 
At 11/29/2005 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Christine said...

One successful day down. I feel the same way when my husband is gone - it's me against them, and you never know who is going to win. LOL! Hang in there!

 
At 11/29/2005 02:46:00 PM, Blogger J&J's Mom said...

When he gets back...leave HIM with the kids for a week...makes all sorts of problems go away ;0) Good luck dearie!!

 
At 11/29/2005 04:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it through day one. If it helps, you are not alone. When we first walk into karate, Ben is usually really quiet and shy. And then all the other parents start trying to get him to come out of his shell. And I'm always thinking "why are they poking this sleeping bear with a stick?" And sure enough, a few minutes later he's yelling and singing and kicking and we have to go stand outside or hang out in the store next door. Last night he was yelling "HEEEY BRUDDDER! HEEEEY JACKSON!!!" and since Jackson wouldn't turn around he just kept getting louder and louder until I had to leave with him.

We also have the same two year old dinner table issues. It drives us crazy when he won't tell us what he is so upset over.

 
At 11/29/2005 05:03:00 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Just one glass of wine?

I hope Day 2 has gone well.... ;-)

 
At 11/29/2005 06:09:00 PM, Blogger hollibobolli said...

I am going to get that book!!! Because I don't want to kill anyone's trust and we are just starting the yelling and thrashing phase!!

Yay for you and your victory!!

 
At 11/29/2005 06:10:00 PM, Blogger hollibobolli said...

p.s. - thank you so much for retyping part of that book and giving the title!

(could I use anymore exclamation points??)

 
At 11/29/2005 11:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so sweet. Your Mean Mommy is so mildly mean that she makes me smile

Our tantrums have died down here for a while. They'll be back, I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home