PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


Deep breath, here we go... on religion and politics

I struggle with my faith almost daily. Something has really been bothering me.

On the one hand, I need my faith, I need to be able to pray about things that worry me and to give thanks for all which I am blessed with. I need my spirituality.

On the other hand, I feel overwhelmed by the evangelical movement becoming so prevalent in politics and in every day life now, that it scares me. James Dobson scares me. Because you are either with him, or you are in the “enemy camp” trying to ruin Christian’s lives everywhere with your “liberal” demands (and liberal is used loosely here – it basically encompasses anything not within evangelical guidelines). This man pushes intolerance and division, all in the name of God.

I believe on a certain level - most people need some form of faith in order to get by in this jacked-up world, even if it is an “agnostic” sort of faith, or whatever brings them peace. So, Christianity is naturally a good choice for many people. But this modern brand of evangalism is just so rigid, firm, and adamant. They have narrow views on faith and sprituality, views which in my opinion, hurt other people. Views, which according to them, are the ONLY true form of Christianity.

The problem is, in my mind, that it is only THEIR truth. It is their interpretation of the Christian Bible, and how believers should apply the principles. But what about the “other” types of Christians out there? For example, evangelical Christians would not consider me a true Christian, for a number of reasons that I won’t bore you with. The devil is in the details (of the bible), so to speak.

But a Christian I am, no matter what they say. I am comfortable with my own beliefs and spirituality, and continually seek to have a relationship with a God I believe to be loving, good and tolerant. I am likewise comfortable with other people having different beliefs, their own form of spirituality. Because I don’t believe you have to be “religious” to believe in God. Religion and Spirituality are two different things entirely, but ultimately lead to the same thing... belief in a higher power.

So what is really bothering me? Honestly, it has been hard for me to put my finger on. But I think it boils down to the fact that I don’t believe we can ever achieve peace and unity as long as this religious movement believes that they are right, and everyone else is wrong. There is just no room for tolerance within their views – because tolerance, to them, means condoning what they so firmly believe is wrong. And while I will most certainly fall short of comparing them directly to radical Muslims – because of the fundamental difference that evangelicals do not seek to kill non-believers – there is nonetheless a scary element of like-intolerance there. Belief that you must believe and follow as they do, or you are a threat to them and their way of life.

Some of my closest friends and family are part of this movement, and individually they do not try to push it on me, nor do they come off as terrible, intolerant people. But if you listen to the leaders of the movement, it seems to be another thing altogether.

And now, for the politics part. In my opinion, one of the two major political parties in America has been hijacked by the evangelical movement. Why more people didn’t see this during the last election – I don’t know. Unless our country TRULY is made up of 51% evangelicals. Which I doubt.

The old “fiscal Republicans” are not represented by these new “Values Republicans” like Bush and his groupies. In fact, from an economic standpoint, Bush has acted more like a Democrat than a Republican. Ask almost any fiscal conservative today, and they will nod in agreement. The era of Republican fiscal policy defined by 'Reaganomics' is gone, replaced by fast and loose spending, and pandering to the religious right (ie. Dobson and his ilk). Indeed, many fiscal conservatives have given up and moved over to the Libertarian party, and who can blame them – what matters most to them was abandoned by their old party.

And yet, as a moderate to liberal minded person (depends on the issue), I’m not sure I am adequately represented by Democrats anymore either. This is due, I believe, to their knee-jerk response to this scary turn of events on the other side. Honestly, every time Howard Dean opens his mouth, I question whether this party can truly represent me anymore. I’m not sure there is ANY political party which can represent me anymore, and I don’t think I am not the only one who feels this way.

So, now. What a mess. Even though I believe in God, and even though I am a Christian... I am not comfortable with how intertwined religion and politics have become. I do not agree that evangelical Christianity is what our founding fathers had in mind – no matter how many quotes are thrown (out of context) at me. For every quote intended to prove they wanted America to be a puritanical Christian country, I can throw one back stating the opposite (that America was founded on freedom of religion… ANY form of religion). For every quote they throw out saying that “loose values” and "lack of school prayer" have caused high crime and complete disregard for others, I can throw one back stating that poverty and hopelessness is just as likely the culprit.

And I am saddened that I feel the need to always end the statement that I am a Christian with: “But I am not an evangelical Christian”.

Please feel free to comment, whether you agree... or not. I welcome other thoughts and opinions, as long as they are not an attack. I will delete any comments which are outright attacks. I realize many people have strong opinions one way or the other on these two topics, but I chose to write this anyway, because I suppose I needed to get my thoughts out in the open. Not to alienate people, but perhaps to see if there is any common ground.

4 Comments:

At 11/23/2005 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Piece of Work said...

What a great post, Holly. I completely agree with you, on all points. (No surprise there.) It IS scary to me, the way the religious right has taken over politics in this country.

Don't get me started on James Dobson. When Isaac was born, my mother in law gave me one of his books (Bringing up Boys) which was so offensive on so many levels I actually had to give it away, I didn't want it in my house.

 
At 11/23/2005 05:36:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Brave post, Holly! I agree with you, and I view this issue through my own personal prism -- I'm Catholic (nominally at the moment), and I struggle with a desire to return to the Church for a spiritual life I feel is lacking in me and complete disgust with a lot of the Church's stances (those on birth control and homosexuality are the biggest ones for me).

The rabid right wing and the evangelical movement scare me to death.

 
At 11/23/2005 05:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Politics AND Religion. You're a brave, brave blogger. We are completely eye to eye on this. As usual you give me a topic that I can't reply to in a comment form. I type for ten minutes then realize that you probably weren't looking for an essay, so I delete it.

 
At 11/28/2005 01:05:00 AM, Blogger AsianSmiles said...

I agree with you. This exclusivity thing (and the "we are the righteous" attitude) is really a turn-off. While I admire Evangelical Christians in a lot of ways, I just think it's not fair to "condemn" others on the basis of church "membership". For me, as long as we abide by the concept of "loving" and we live our lives, make laws, build characters based on sincere "love" for everyone- incl the future generation and nature, it's ok by me. I don't give much attention about which religious affiliation a person belongs.

thanks and blessings to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home