Day 5... and a quick update
Bean's cold is much better, and we made it through another night of karate class last night, with him in tow. It went better, since we didn't have to leave. But it was still challenging.
I swear I am going to get some pictures of Bug in karate class, just as soon as I can go to the class WITHOUT Bean.
Firedaddy gets home late tonight. Thank God. I am just worn out.
Bug and Bean were in rare form when I picked them up from preschool this afternoon. Bug is refusing to nap, and today it was NOT a good choice to skip nap. Because, Lord, the meltdowns which ensued. I didn't know he had those kind of meltdowns IN him. Bean? Yes. But not Bug.
So anyway, I won't even say what time I put them to bed... but it was pretty damned early. It was either that, or I would have melted down.
So I leave you now with one final quote from the Tao of Motherhood, since it is my sponsor this week, here at PLSA.
This one was timely for me, because the other day I was thinking to myself, "should I pickup one more Christmas gift each for the boy's?". After reading this, the answer was a resounding NO. Instead, I resolve to spend more focused (read: mind not elsewhere...) time doing things with them. Simple things, like baking, going for a walk, playing a board game.
***********************************************************************************
Consumption
A wise mother keeps her child's life simple. She gives away ten thousand toys and keeps only that which is useful.
She lets her baby gaze into her face and at the wondrous colors of nature.
She gives her child household things and tells stories the same way over and over.
Feeling that you must have every toy, every device, every piece of equipment merely places objects between you and your child. You have to work that much harder to provide them; work which robs your child of his most important stimulation - your company.
Those who become trapped in the cycle of getting and having spend their children's lives in a kind of fog. The best moments are lost forever.
Ask the question: Who really benefits from all this consumption?





6 Comments:
Thanks for this reminder, Holly. My son's dad gives him TONS of things all year round, and I sometimes feel like I have to keep up somehow. Of course, that's not possible or even desirable, and I know my son would love for me to play Uno with him just as much as (or more than) he loves to play his 20+ video games at his dad's house. Christmas is always extra-crazy, as his dad starts giving him more gifts a month or two in advance and I try to avoid duplicate gifts. Thanks for the reminder that we as parents need to show our kids what's important, and teach them to find beauty and enjoyment in simple things, and show them that happiness does not necessarily lie in material things. I'm sure my son is tired of hearing me say, "There's a lot more to life than STUFF," but maybe when he's older it'll sink in. :-)
I'm glad to hear your husband is coming home! Now maybe you can get a nap yourself...? ;^) Hope your house and kids are cold-free very soon!!
You are such a superwoman for doing it all yourself. I mean that. The days when Lance works late, I lose my mind.
I totally agree with you and your sponser! about the gift-giving thing. This is the first year that I've bought either child anything for Christmas--the last two years they were too young, and didn't know the difference. Actually, Vivian is still too young this year, but I feel like I have to be fair. Anyway, I just bought them each a few toys and that's it. My husband, unfortunately, buys more things, but even he doesn't go too overboard. (We also have a very small house, which encourages minimalism)
That's a great excerpt, Holly! Couldn't agree more... it really is fun to buy for them. But what they really want & need is to be loved, huh? I still look at my little guy when he's playing by himself & think 'how the heck did I get so freaking lucky to be his Mommy?'
Glad Firedude's home! Hooray! Firedude!
That's a good quote to center me before I start my Christmas shopping.
Oh ho, the giving away 10,000 toys? Me all over, baby. At least it is this week.
I have a love/hate thing going on with the packing. By the way, you know anyone who wants to buy my house?
Now THAT is something to remember. What important statements this time of year. Thank you for the reminder!
Post a Comment
<< Home