PEACE, LOVE AND SANITY FOR ALL

This blog is a tribute to what this crazy world needs more of. Peace. Love. Sanity. For All. But especially Moms and Dads since they're most at risk for going crazy.


My Final Thursday Thirteen - #9


Thirteen Ways Holly is obsessive
(aka: thirteen ways I am a freak)

1... I always have to make sure that when I tear off some toilet paper, that the tear is completely even along the perforated line. If it is torn in a messy way, I must fix it the roll before leaving the bathroom. Not just at home, anywhere.

2... While at least my kids don’t wear matching clothes - more often than I care to admit, I do color coordinate them.

3... When I used to (many, many, many moons ago) have my house cleaned by a service, the VERY first thing I did when I got home was go through the entire house and re-adjust things to be in their proper place.

4... The thing I hate about having our carpets cleaned, is that I am afraid the furniture may not end up back in the exact right spots afterwards.

5... I cannot leave the house without the beds being made, no matter how much of a hurry we’re in.

6... I must clean up every single toy in the living room every night after the kids are in bed. I also ensure the kid’s bedroom’s are picked up before they go to bed. C’mon now, everyone say it with me: “Neat Freak”! (not to be confused with clean freak, mind you…)

7... When I am selling something on Ebay, I check the status of my auction(s) constantly.

8... Mini-blinds must be perfectly aligned, each and every slat, in my house.

9... I cannot drink water from a kitchen or bathroom tap. It must come from the refrigerator water dispenser, and must have ice in it. Otherwise I won’t drink it.

10... I must cut up my salads into itty-bitty little pieces - so I can get a bit of everything in each bite – before I will eat them.

11... I do not like the way raw chicken looks. It’s just gross. Therefore, when I prepare it at home, I must first cut every piece of fat, and cut out every broken blood vessel before cooking it. Firedaddy says I throw away half of it (and I buy only boneless *reasts to begin with). I do realize other people and restaurants don’t do this and yes…. I still eat chicken prepared by others. It only bothers me if I was the one preparing it. I guess it is a case of what you don’t know (see) wont’ hurt you…

12... Once I begin a project, like say a decorating one? It is all I can think about until it is complete. And I pester everyone else asking for their opinions non-stop.

13... I cannot visit other’s blogs that I haven’t been to in awhile without going all the way back to the last entry I read and reading everything single thing I missed. I also cannot visit a blog for the first time without going back and reading some (or all, depending on how long the blog has been around) history. And then commenting, even on really old stuff. None of this is good for time management, or for getting to bed by a decent time.

As my title states, this is my final Thursday Thirteen. I'm a bit sad, as it's been a lot of fun, a creative way to ramble, and I've met a number of great bloggers I might not have stumbled upon otherwise. But all good things must come to an end, right?

My reason is first and foremost, because our wonderful hostess and T13 founder, Leanne, is ending her long run of hosting it. It has become a lot of work for her, and these types of things should not be work, they should be fun and a bit spontaneous, so I completely understand. Thank you for starting such a phenomenon, Leanne!

And secondly, it was actually a bit of a relief for me that she threw in the towel, because honestly it has become difficult for me to keep up with it... I was considering ending my run anyway. It was not just doing my own lists weekly that was hard to keep up with, but also reading all the T13’s that I’ve linked to, within a day or two. In fact, last week's T13 I didn't finish all my reading until last night. And it bothered me.

So… I will be visiting all of your blogs, just not necessarily only on Thursdays! Course, what this also means is that I must find a way to schedule my blogroll reading like Running2Ks did. This blogging thing has turned so huge for me, but in a GOOD way… I just can't let it take over my life. Which as you can see by my list above, I have a tendency to let happen.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

19 Comments:

At 1/19/2006 10:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, that makes me very sad to read that this is your last TT13. I enjoy reading them, but just because your TT13 has ended does not mean that I will stop visiting. I will stop in and say hi!

 
At 1/19/2006 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm the same way about my paper towels. I can't have an extra scrap either in my hand or on the roll. it's weird, and probably very annoying to others but I can't help it! okay...I don't even try anymore :)

 
At 1/19/2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

1 2 5 6 8 11 12 13
And I'm too freaked out about cleaning services.

We'll all go down to the looney bin together :)

 
At 1/19/2006 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Kimmy said...

I cannot stand chicken. I love to eat it, but don't like to touch it. I am the same way...cut most of the chicken off to get rid of the fat and the blood vessels. Gross! But I'll eat other people's chicken. I'd prefer it. I'll make sure to drop your name when my mom makes fun of me!

 
At 1/19/2006 11:52:00 AM, Blogger JeepGirl said...

I love Ebay. I'm so addicted. I'm doing better now that I have discovered blogging.

I guess I'm the opposite when it comes to the bed. I pretty much just throw the covers up and make it look half-made. I'm kind of lazy this way. I wish I had more ambition to make it.

 
At 1/19/2006 01:35:00 PM, Blogger Fern Bourrie said...

Yes, just because TT is coming to an end doesn't mean I will not make my weekly rounds. I have met some great friends! Loved your TT.
I can not drink tap water either...YUCK!!!

 
At 1/19/2006 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Renee Nefe said...

Oh man! raw chicken just is too freaky. I wash my hands about a bazillion times with that stuff...turkey too.

And I had to go back and read all I missed on your blog too. The joke is too cute. I knew the Oh S#!t part, but the Hold my beer is a killer!

This might be my last TT for a while too. It has taken over my life and many other things are calling rather loudly that I need to get back to them. But here it is...http://lillyput.blogspot.com

 
At 1/19/2006 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Uisce said...

It's a shame this is ending, it was so much fun! But when something's too much bother, I guess it stops being fun. My 13 are up!

 
At 1/19/2006 08:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You clean just like my sister! Her house is always picked up, all the toys put away, man it drives me crazy. Hehe, only because my house isn't as clean though! :)

My 13 are up...http://www.danno.org/blogs/pivot/entry.php?id=195#body

 
At 1/20/2006 08:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my housecleaner and I are currently locked in an epic battle. Whether pictures and knick knacks should be straight or arranged in a carefully, but not overtly hodge-podge manner. Every Friday afternoon, she places everything in lines and at right angles and every Friday evening, I set them perfectly askew.

 
At 1/20/2006 01:53:00 PM, Blogger Marie said...

LOLOLOL! Oh Holly, you would have an absolute coronary if you ever saw my house!

Love the chicken thing... I'll think of you now when I make chicken!!

 
At 1/20/2006 03:25:00 PM, Blogger J&J's Mom said...

Can we say OCD??? Although I'm grateful for 13 ;0) Girl...I have some valium for sale ..CHEAP!!! If not will you come to my house? I have mural I need to finish...I started it...ummmm...3 years ago ;0)

 
At 1/21/2006 10:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Can you move into our house and do all that neat freak stuff for us? We're just not built like that but it would be nice.....

I had to give up on TT two weeks ago because Thursday morning is my morning off and I was spending it stressed out about returning TT visitors.

Blogroll completely overwhelms me. I am thinking of limiting my blogging to one or two hours a day. One day reading.. The next day writing. The problem is I'm terrible at following schedules. I could use some of that OCD.

 
At 1/21/2006 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Marie said...

PS - Holly have you seen the tv show Monk?

PPS - What do you use for toy storage in the living room? I must do something there myself.

 
At 1/21/2006 01:25:00 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I am SO glad to see I'm not alone with strange little habits. Freaks unite!

T'pon, the epic battle you described? That was my *exact* situation. I like hodge podge randomness to my decor... the cleaning lady liked neat little rows. Drove me crazy. Ack.

Yeah, J&J's Mom, I have heard that particular term used to describe me in a joking manner once, or perhaps even a few times. LOL. I think my own Mom has used it several times (she is a psych nurse).

Raehan, I'm not the greatest at schedules either. In my personal life. At work, I am, because I am a project manager, so I suppose I MUST be. But at home, I just do things in whatever order I decide to. If I could stick to a schedule better, I'd probably get more rest!

Marie, I've never seen Monk. Maybe I should check it out though. I use big woven baskets for storage in our living room. And also a large plastic bin which slides under the lego table, for the smaller stuff. Oh, and we've allocated 3 shelves that are built into the walls to trucks, cars, and the aforementioned baskets.

 
At 1/23/2006 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Um, I often color-coordinate my kids too. Sad I know but true.

 
At 1/24/2006 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm NOT a neat-nik as I used to call them, but hubby is! After 20 something years of raising kids, I basically don't get upset about too many things regarding the house. I have this thing about all the hairs on the sink after husband shaves; I like to have the toys picked up at night because I will trip on them, and we just bought fabric-lined baskets that say 'toys', 'books' and sports' on them. I don't color coordinate my kids, but maybe I should have, then my 20 year old wouldn't dress so weird.
As for Monk, no, I don't think you are like him, he is ocd to the extreme. But I will say that neat-niks do what they do because they really care about their environment and appreciate it. Maybe we could all learn to do that, me especially.

 
At 1/26/2006 03:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well even though you won't be doing the TT I hope you won't mind me dropping by from time to time!

 
At 2/03/2006 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Mel said...

I do the EXACT same thing with toilet papers and paper towels. And the chicken...don't even get me started! I am vegetarian now, but when I did eat chicken, it was the same. Boneless, skinless only. Carefully picked and prodded before eating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home