Stupid is as stupid does

Cassie
We have one dog, named Cassie. She is lovable and sweet, and she is dumb as a post. Please know that I say this with love (OK, and a tad bit of irritation from time to time), but please also know that it is the truth. She really is dumb. Really, really, really dumb.
Cassie is 10 years old. We've had her for 8 years, and when we got her as a rescue dog and she was estimated to be 2. Cassie is wonderful with the boys, and no matter how annoying she is, she is a member of the family.
Having been very involved in dog rescue up until about 4 years ago, I would never get rid of a pet - I commit for life. It is ingrained in me after all those years of rescue. And it is just right, no matter how difficult they become. I do draw the line at spending truckloads of money on pets, though.
So anyway, yesterday while taking the entire 2 minutes I have to peruse the Sunday paper, I noticed an article about 50-some dogs which had been confiscated from a home and were going to be available in a nearby shelter soon. These dogs were just the breed I have always wanted (outside of mutts, I do love mutts). And they were adorable.
Throughout the day I convinced myself that Cassie needed a friend, and that once she passed on we would already have another dog that we already loved. It wouldn't be like 'replacing' her.
And somehow I convinced myself adding a new dog to the mix at this time would be perfectly manageable.
I even casually mentioned to Bug that we might consider getting another dog, and of COURSE he was hip to the idea.
Firedaddy told me I was crazy, and left it at that. He didn't say 'no way', so I had some hope. I mean, he wasn't putting his foot down - so I was thinking, this could just happen! I was actually making plans in my head.
Fast forward to TODAY - Cassie brought me back to reality. She puked all over the floor. While I was working at home. And did I mention that it was a REALLY hectic Monday? And that she picked the absolute WORST time to puke all over the place? Well, it was. OH - and have I ever mentioned how grossed out I am about puke? Especially the phlemy kind of puke that dogs are famous for? It makes me retch the entire time I am cleaning it up. I should note here that it was actually FD who cleaned it up this time, bless his soul. But trust me, I have plenty of experience in cleaning up phlemy dog puke, so I know what I am talking about when I say it is gross.
Ironic, isn't it? That it took our 'dumber than a post dog' to show me just how dumb I was being? Sheesh. I need to have my head examined. Thank goodness Bug has forgotten all about our brief conversation. In a pinch, I am sure I can distract him with a toad. Or a guinea pig. Something.





7 Comments:
Dammit. I lost a comment because I can' pass your word verirfication! Damn spammers.
Anyway, the picture of Cassie is hilarious. We have a dog that looks almost exactly like her.
Our shelter has taken in over 1000 dogs. We can't manage a foster either. Besides, I think its too risky with such little ones.
Dear Holly,
I have looked at your blog a few times in the past few days, and I just want to say that there's something about that picture of Bug, and the line "My dear, handsome, smart, and funny Bug" that makes me smile and want to be a better person. That sounds silly, but it's true. Oh that picture! What a Bug that Bug was. Beautiful.
Thank you for linking over at babycenter so I could find you here!
yours truly,
Catherine
awwww, what an adorable dogggie :)
Hi Catherine!
Wow. I am honored you came to visit me, I am a HUGE fan of your writing - honestly it has gotten me through some tough times as a Mommy. Just by reading and realizing that my own feelings (of frustration, weariness, neurosis, and yes inadequacy at times!) as a parent are universal in nature - that we are not alone in these complicated feelings. And it doesn't hurt that you are a truly gifted writer.
I also wanted to tell you that you, along with a couple of your other fans (PK, Raehan) were the ones who inspired me to journal and to take it online as added incentive. What a gift each of you are.
And for you to say that my entry made you smile and want to be a better person? Well, all I can say is that you’ve done that for me a million times.
Anyway, thank you for visiting, and also for noticing my little comment in your journal this week amongst the close to 300 comments you got. Wow! Who knew constipation was such a hot topic. I do hope Birdy is doing better!
Raehan, I noticed how similar our dogs look when you posted a picture of yours on a hike a few months ago. Pretty funny!
Yes, Catherine. I've written somewhere before that Holly has a heart of gold. In fact, I don't think I really knew what that phrase was until I started reading her writing. It makes me want to be a better person, too.
On the subject of dog vomit: We once had a Golden Retriever who devoured his breakfast one morning in seconds, only to throw it up another second later. Then he ate it. I "appreciated" his help (bleah!), but was totally grossed out. My son thought it was mildly interesting. ;^)
Post a Comment
<< Home