Life as a Virgo
Many people commented after my last post (thirteen ways I am a freak....) confirming that either
1) they have a few of the same habits as me (whew)
and/or
2) I am indeed a freak (thanks a lot people!)
I even had a few comments about perhaps being OCD, and rightfully so. Seriously...I know they were made in jest, but the truth is, I DO tend toward being obsessive, a perfectionist, even somewhat controlling. As one of my blogging friends pointed out in a (very kind) email, I am the epitomy of a Virgo.
I should say, to set the record straight, that while I may be a neatnik...an 'everything in it's right place' kind of person... a clean freak I am not. I can live with dust, unshining sinks and the like - as long as it is pretty much sanitary I have a high threshhold for dirt. I figure having a super clean house is impossible with kids and pets anyway.
Firedaddy, on the other, likes things clean. So subsequently, he does the lion's share of housework, he just tends not to do bathrooms. And as far as everything in it's right place... well, I've resigned myself to the fact that it is only that way at night after the kids are in bed. And then in the morning , it is all messy again. Sigh. But hey - I'd rather have the mess than not, because it is made by people I love.
I try to remember that my tendency toward perfection is a fault of mine. And I try hard not to let it get out of hand.
The truth is, even though I poked fun at them, I DO recognize my list of 13 (and a few other things) as faults. I don't want to be that person that nobody wants to be around because they are overly tidy, overly critical of others, and hover over everything you do, trying to control everything and everyone around them.
Thankfully, I have people who love me who try to keep me mostly balanced. My Mom for one. She worked as a psych nurse for many years, so she points out from time to time when I get overly OCD or controlling... My Mother-in-law does the same every once in awhile, just not so much in psych terms. And my husband, well he has a quiet way of setting me straight, without much of a fuss. But I get the message, nonetheless.
My eldest son, Bug, is also a Virgo. So... not only is it important that I keep my obsessive tendencies in check to be a good Mom and person ~ it is also important that I not model these over them to him, as a Virgo he is going to tend toward obsessiveness anyway... he doesn't need me to show him the way by going overboard.
I have many little quotes taped up around my house and my work office - on the refrigerator, on the bathroom mirror, on the laptop computer, at work on my cubicle walls. Things to remind me of what is truly important - people I love, living each day to its fullest, being a kind person.
But the one I relate to the most, really applies here. I posted it on my blog once awhile back. I got it from the Ben & Birdy journal, where Catherine quoted it from a book called "The Parent's Tae Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents". And while this quote is about being a parent, I try to apply it to everything I do.
Thanks again everyone for your kind, jestful, and supportive comments! Delving into this sort of thing once in awhile is good for the soul.
************************************************************************************
Good Behavior
"There are many ways to get children
to behave as you wish.
You can force, plead, and bribe.
You can manipulate, trick, and persuade.
You can use shame, guilt, and reason.
These will all rebound upon you.
You will be in constant conflict.
Attend instead to your own actions.
Develop contentment within yourself.
Find peace and love in all you do.
This will keep you busy enough.
There is no need to control others.
If you are able to release even some small part
of your persistent need to control,
you will discover an amazing paradox.
The things you attempted to force
now begin to occur naturally.
People around you begin to change.
Your children find appropriate behavior
emerging from within themselves
and are delighted.
Laughter returns to all."





11 Comments:
I am with you on the organizing vs. sanitizing thing. I have obsessive tendencies myself--but they are more in check than when I was a kid :)
Hugs to you!
I need to learn to let go and live by example more. Thanks for the post and the reminder of what's more important.
I love your blog - I think you're one of the kindest people.. not just from the things you post on here, but from your emails - and the sweetest gift we had waiting for us when we got to OKC from you!! (I can't find your email in my new account to thank you right now, and I'm on someone else's computer)
If I did have OCD - I wish it was in the cleaning area!!
I look to your blog for inspiration in lots of areas, Holly.
I'm a Virgo too... when I was single & living on my own, I kept a pretty tidy home. I look around here now & just shake my head! Between being married to a packrat handyman and having a toddler son, there is no order on the horizon! Like you say, the messes are made by people I love...
You're a mighty A-OK Virgo in my book, Holly!
I usually comment on Thursday 13s, because I almost always relate to at least one of them. But you stumped me on this 13! Although I do love how you catch up on your comments. Whenever I see that you have commented, I know I get to check the comments on all my other recent posts too. It's always fun. Thanks.
I don't think you have a problem. I only wish I had an ounce of your organizations skills. My sister is the same way. Very organized person but she can't handle much stress. Not that you are this way but I think thats her downfall.
I think the only reason anyone would say anything bad about your skills of perfection are just jealous.
My Mom's a virgo too.. and I love her to death. Your post gave me more insight into who she is/could have been when I was growing up!
You are who you are - nobody is perfect
"people I love, living each day to its fullest, being a kind person."
You're right - THIS is important.. you could miss out on lots of things if you over focus on the small stuff :)
Holly, I love your blog! aND i'VE missed you! This is very good advice!
Dude, you are so totally not a freak. Or at least not in a bad way. And the salad thing? I never even NOTICED that!
Beautiful! I may print that and post it up or hand it out... BTW, I never read the TT's from last week and JUST discovered you won't be doing them anymore. I'll still come by to see you, I love this site!
What a great post, with great thoughts. Sorry to read you're not participating in TT anymore, but I'm still planning to stop by and "see" you :)
Post a Comment
<< Home